Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem ftp web pages to Eircom site

Options
  • 23-10-2007 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

I am trying to upload webpages for hosting on Eircom. I have no problem uploading to other hosting companies. I am getting an error message on core ftp to say it recognises the host address, but not the associated information. I have talked to Eircom who advised me to switch off passive mode which i've done. I've also attempted this with my firewall turned off. Eircom say they can access via an external line, but have no additional suggestions. Any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Can you log in via FTP directly?

ftp://homepage.eircom.net/~USERNAME/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Eircom must be your ISP if you are to upload to their webspace. It's a nasty twist, I know. Unless your WAN IP address comes from their pool, you won't be able to get FTP access to the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dagmar

This is a real drag. What other ISP does something so stupid? Is there no way around this using a proxy or anything?

Oh blast Eircom. May their wires fall off their poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Dagmar wrote: »
    This is a real drag. What other ISP does something so stupid? Is there no way around this using a proxy or anything?

Oh blast Eircom. May their wires fall off their poles.
    If you're really desperate, you could try using dial-up to eircom's 1892 150 150 (local charges as far as I can remember) to upload your files.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

ethernet wrote: »
    Eircom must be your ISP if you are to upload to their webspace. It's a nasty twist, I know. Unless your WAN IP address comes from their pool, you won't be able to get FTP access to the account.

I've just come across this problem now when using my laptop in a UPC house. It is madness. :mad: Nearly 4 years after this thread was started, it still appears to be the case. The other providers have plenty of problems with them that force customers back to Eircom, so there is no need for Eircom to throw in this nasty trick to entice people back. You should be able to access any site through any ISP. That's the whole basis of the internet. Is there any other solution other than the 1892 dial-up option or any hope of Eircom or the others facilitating those who do have to access webspace through other providers at times?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

They don't have to provide FTP access to Eircom servers to non-Eircom customers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I understand that, but if someone is trying to access Eircom webspace, it could be an Eircom customer doing so from another location, via another ISP. They should not be blocked from doing so. I hold Eircom webspace and I would like to be able to access it when I go online, even if on some of those occasions I am on a wireless network on my laptop through someone else's system. I know the access codes and password, which should be enough for me to have the right to access it through any ISP. It is still my webspace.

Because someone happens to be trying to access webspace from Eircom through another ISP, it does not automatically mean they have abandoned Eircom and are no longer a customer. The account is still live and being paid for, but on this occasion I wanted to access it when I happened to be accessing the internet through another ISP, only to be thwarted. If the account the webspace is on is no longer being paid for, then it would make more sense for Eircom to block access. Otherwise, account holders should be able to access their Eircom webspace through any ISP.

Advertisement