Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send email to a list of subscribers

Options
  • 23-10-2007 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I have about 10,000 opt-in subscribers and I need to send them about 4 emails per year. Anyone done something like this? What software did you use? The addresses can be imported from either from Access or CSV file.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Why not just setup a distribution list? its very easy. Especially if you have outlook. Google will help you to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CK.1

shayser wrote: »
    I have about 10,000 opt-in subscribers and I need to send them about 4 emails per year. Anyone done something like this? What software did you use? The addresses can be imported from either from Access or CSV file.

You can just put all the email addresses into the BCC field in Outlook Express. Put your own address in the To field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

CK.1 wrote: »
    You can just put all the email addresses into the BCC field in Outlook Express. Put your own address in the To field.

Even if that did work for 10,000 recipients, don't expect delivery - most mail servers have a limit of 99 or 100 recipients per message (RFC 2821 requires at least 99) but some won't accept more than 10:
    http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/10/2228216

@shayser
    I hope these "opt-in" subscribers were all confirmed using unique unguessable tokens. Even with that, you're likely to get some people who forgot and will report you for spamming. I suggest you advise your ISP of this bulk mailing before you send - as well as putting yourself in a good position regarding spam complaints, they may have various antispam measures in place on port 25 that they'll need to temporarily disable or ignore for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I thought I might need dedicated software as I read that Outlook has a max of 100 address to a field. I remember before trying something similiar where I had a mailto link with a load of addresses and Outlook would only accept a certain amount.

Got on to my ISP who lifted any restrictions so I'm ok there.

Was googling earlier and saw lots of software for this sort of thing but some of the sites looked a bit dodgy.

Haeven't done this before so thanks for the info.

Advertisement