Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC not recognising Archos AV500 Windows Device

Options
  • 23-10-2007 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭

A couple of weeks ago I had to restore my Dell PC to factory settings because it was refusing to boot and reinstalled a few applications. Over the weekend I connected my Archos AV500 DVR to it as Windows Media Device, and instead of the 2 tones you normally get when you add a USB device, you get 3 low tones, and it will not show up on the Explorer. If I change the Archos to Hard Drive device mode it gets recognised, but the PC wants to format it and wipe all the contents, which I don't want.
    In work the PC recognises the Archos in Windows Device mode no problem.
    The Archos is configured to work with all XP PCs so it should work out of the box.
    I downloaded drivers for it but the PC at home says it can't install them..I ran troubleshoot on all the USBs (I don't know which is which in the Device Manager/Universal Serial bus controllers) and it says there is nothing wrong. But then my main external harddrive stopped working on the same USB, and I got the 3 low tones again instead of the 2 you normally get. This morning I plugged the external hard driver into the same USB though and it was recognised again..
    I read on an Archos forum that the best bet is to uninstall all the USBs and reinstall them, but I have no idea how to reinstall.. please help its doing me brain in, I need the PC to recognise my Archos again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

Came across this thread from Archos forums. Sounds like my best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

Just to let you know that TestDisk worked - superb! That is very useful for anyone else with external hard drives the PC fails to recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Testdisk class bit of software saved me on a few occasions once or twice with the av500 and other harddrives.;)

Advertisement