Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new turntable for €400 to €500

Options
  • 23-10-2007 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭

Im looking to upgrade my dual cs505-3 to something a bit less, ahem... wobbly. It was bought on ebay for €50 and now I'm looking for something better.
    I have a budget of €400-500 inclusive of everything, tonearm, cartridge etc.
    Where do you guys think I would get the best bang for my buck? I'm not adverse to buying used, but would prefer something new.
    My amp is a Mission Cyrus one and my headphones are Grado sr-125s.
    As for my speakers, well......they are Wharfdale Linton 2's and are buggered, and as a result, unused.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Best bang for your buck if you want new will be buying from the UK.Plenty of shops over there that will ship to Ireland.
    Personally id go secondhand with that type of money.Ebay is OK but if you really want to get something special have a look around on the various UK Hi-Fi forums .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Have a look at the Poject range of decks. Cloney stock them.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?list=turntables&cat=turntables&lang=en

Actually, I wouldn't recommend the second hand route unless you know how well it was cared for. Decks have moving parts and you'll never know the age or condition of the cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I have a Rega Planar 3 and, until very recently, it was partnered with a Cyrus One amp. I think they worked really well together. However, that's going to be slightly over your budget if new: circa £400 sterling for the latest incarnation (without cartridge). Even with a modest cartridge, that's gonna put you over €600.

It's hard to buy a decent hi-fi turntable in Ireland because there are precious few places to listen to them before you buy. I'd second the suggestion that you check out the Project decks in Cloney. (Furthermore, I'm sure they probably wouldn't mind if you brought your Cyrus One under your arm to see how they click.)

If you're forced to buy blind from abroad on the basis of, say, magazine reviews, my personal opinion is that "HiFi Choice" is the most reliable and comprehensive when it comes to reviews. (I'd be curious to hear others' opinions on this latter point.)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

sorry to hijack this thread, but does anybody know where I can get a turntable set up ?

BTW if it makes any difference, it's a Gyrodek SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Redjeep! wrote: »
    sorry to hijack this thread, but does anybody know where I can get a turntable set up ?

BTW if it makes any difference, it's a Gyrodek SE.

www.cloneyaudio.com in Blackrock, Co Dublin are the only people I'd trust to service a high-end deck. That's a very nice turntable btw, well worth getting done right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Thanks I'll give them a call. I've had it a while now and it is a superb deck, and really looks the part as well.

BTW - I think that this must truely classify me as a geek, but was watching a few minutes of Lara Croft earlier and noticed that she had a real sexy....wait for it....turntable...... playing when she was doing the floating around the big hall on strings thing.

(Hopefully I'm not purely a geek as I did happen to notice her real sexy other bits as well.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭RINO87

slightly off topic, but i was in empire music in imerick today and they had a shedload of vinyl back in stock!!:)
    turns out sony are re-issuing a ton of their "classic" albums for around 15 quid

vinyl is really making a comeback, now all we have to is sit back and watch turntable prices go through the roof!

Advertisement