Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to Internet

Options
  • 22-10-2007 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Quick question. I have an Advent laptop thats about 2 years old. Now recently we got a LAN connection set up for our home computer and I've been trying to access it by plugging the connection into my laptop. It says its connected but specificaaly when I try to access the internet I can't because it keeps asking me to connect via dial-up. It might be quite obvious but I ain't the best with these dam machines so any ideas?

I only ask because my sis got a dell there bout a month ago and all she has to do is plug in the cable and she has no problems getting on the net!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

piby wrote: »
    Quick question. I have an Advent laptop thats about 2 years old. Now recently we got a LAN connection set up for our home computer and I've been trying to access it by plugging the connection into my laptop. It says its connected but specificaaly when I try to access the internet I can't because it keeps asking me to connect via dial-up. It might be quite obvious but I ain't the best with these dam machines so any ideas?

I only ask because my sis got a dell there bout a month ago and all she has to do is plug in the cable and she has no problems getting on the net!

Just a quick answer i hope will work, cos i'm on my way to work. Go into control panel and internet options and delete or remove the dial up connection u had on the laptop. It should then go for the lan cos it's no longer set to the dail up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭alter200

when you open IE, go to Tools->Internet Options and select "Never Dial a connection" radio button and apply. Then exit IE and try again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Either aof the above posts should work. Bur also when you are in internet options in the connections tab. Hit LAN settings and make sure it is set to automatically detect your settings.

Now that you are on BB you better get some Antivirus and antimalware software. Search this board for advice on this topic. All the best

Advertisement