Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Latitude D505

Options
  • 22-10-2007 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

I've had my laptop for just over 3 years and its basically gone to hell. It freezes after about 20mins of use, has gone unusably slow to the point where if you're looking at email and plug in a flash disk to get a file from it you're looking at a half hour min wait or...it freezes up. I've tried taking all my files off which are now stored in an external hard drive and defraging and everything else people suggest and the only solution i can see bar throwing the damn thing away is to completely wipe it clean and start again from factory settings.

As I said I dont have any files on it so i have nothing to lose I just need to do this. I have disks marked operating system, drivers and utilities and various other microsoft office type stuff all i need to know is how do I actually go about a reboot? On our old PC at home we had an emergency disk but nothing like that came with my laptop. If anyone has ANY ideas please please reply...Ive been trying to get this done for months now and the only guy i knew who could help just wont get back to me...im about to go mad here!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

• Registered Users Posts: 30,027 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

If the laptop still has the restore partition on it, it should just be a case of booting into this and restoring the laptop to first day settings

when the laptop turns on and the dell logo comes up, you press ctrl+f11 to get the restore menu. there should be instructions to do this on the dell website

otherwise you will need a windows installation disk to reinstall windows. before you reinstall windows, might be a good idea to note down the type of hardware the laptop uses, listed in device manager in system settings. will make it easier to find the right drivers after reinstalling windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

So which is the best way to do it? Just put in the operating system cd or do it when the laptop starts up by pressing ctrl+f11? Sorry to be annoying...I often need things almost spelled out to me, thanks so much for your quick responses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the method eolhc has suggested is probably better as it will install all the drivers etc

Advertisement