Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for applying for a job when overqualified?

Options
  • 22-10-2007 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Am considering applying for an unskilled job , as it's permanent with good conditions. However I am highly educated, just absent from paid employment for the past 9 months. If I state that I have a Masters degree I would probably be considered too qualified, but I would like the job for stated reasons.

Any suggestions as to what might help my cause?.

Thanks

A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, I could do with similar advice. Educated to masters level but can't get any work in my chosen field so I have to look for an admin job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Filan wrote: »
    Am considering applying for an unskilled job , as it's permanent with good conditions. However I am highly educated, just absent from paid employment for the past 9 months. If I state that I have a Masters degree I would probably be considered too qualified, but I would like the job for stated reasons.

So you would actually want to stay in this job, or it's just to tide you over?

If it's the former, I guess if you explain in your cover letter why the job appeals to you (you should state the permanent and good conditions part) they might consider you as a serious candidate.

You should probably also mention you don't really want to work in the area you got your education in...

Certainly I think a good cover letter, followed up by a telephone call a few days later, can do no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

I think something wrong with the market at the moment....I'm educated to Master's level in IT, have a PGrad cert in Bussinesss Managament and have over 5 years exp in IT and can't get a job!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Filan wrote: »

Any suggestions as to what might help my cause?.

Thanks

A

Not being smart, but why not simply "forget" to mention the Masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

SDooM wrote: »
    Not being smart, but why not simply "forget" to mention the Masters?

Because it is going to come out at some stage. Also, asking referees to "omit" the fact he/she has a masters is just bad form.

It's a tough one. But, honesty is the best policy. I suppose you will have to craft your CV to emphasise relevant experience to the position, while demoting the masters (perhaps into the middle of a list, where it might not be as obvious).

It's really a sad state of affairs to be that qualified and not able to get a job. Having said that, I am leaving a position that I was overly qualified for. Working in such a position can be a frustrating experience, I should warn you. Even if it is permanent and pensionable (as mine is).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

I think your underselling yourself, you have a masters degree. You should go to interviews for good jobs, confident in your abilitys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

To the people who can't get a job...

Are you actually getting called to interview?

If you are, could it be your interview skills?

If not, could it be your cover letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Might I ask what your Masters is in? If it's something really obscure (read: useless), they will understand why you're looking for an unskilled job.

However, they may worry that you'll leave once the right job comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Newaglish wrote: »
    If it's something really obscure (read: useless), they will understand why you're looking for an unskilled job.

I really don't agree, it's got a lot more to do with the person behind the degree than the degree itself in these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mari9464

I've been in a similar situation. I finally broke into admin work through temping. I also changed the layout of my cv to include a profile at the beginning, stating briefly my experience and what I am currently looking for. I know most people have that but it took me many changes to get my cv to a decent layout.
    Good luck with your search.

• Advertisement
Advertisement