Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some of the handiest things in the world

• 22-10-2007 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

As an attempt to breath new life into this thread let me post up some stuff.

One of the handiest things I own is my PSP. Don't laugh, but it is. With the hacked firmware and some homebrew apps, you can do some very useful stuff.

I was in the pub the other night watching a match. And after the game they turned the sound down, and a few people could not hear the after game commentary. Out comes my psp, turn on the universal remote app, and up comes the volume.

I also have an ssh client which is handy for connecting to servers, a war driving app which I wrote myself, a note taking app, and a book reader. Add to that the games, and music, you can be organised and entertained.

If im not bringing my laptop with me, i bring my psp as it usually comes in handy. Has anyone else any tools, devices they cant live with out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

My PSP has the firmware fix to stop it rolling back, so no homebrew :(

Have to say one tool I couldn't do without is a little "dremel" style tool I got in Maplins on sale. It comes in handy when I need to bodge stuff. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chuck_d_nun

Dremel are great but I keep burning mine out! You would think the actual "Dremel" would be the best but can anyone suggest another make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

don't know about the dremel, sorry. Black and decker used to be good but their sh*te now.

What firmware is your psp running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i have some rectangular pieces of paper and disc shaped pices of metal. i swap these for goods and services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Ill vote my DS with the m3 cart, mmmmm homebrew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

syklops wrote: »
    and a book reader. .

what's that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yep, I have to say the PSP is damn useful. I have the universal remote working aswell. Sony are being stupid about the firmware. They dont lose money if they allow homebrew on new official firmware and sales may go up because of increased functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm just getting around to reading this whole forum now tbh. I think it's a great idea.
    I was in the pub the other night watching a match. And after the game they turned the sound down, and a few people could not hear the after game commentary. Out comes my psp, turn on the universal remote app, and up comes the volume.

Nice. Very nice.
    I also have an ssh client which is handy for connecting to servers

How do you type with it? I use ssh more than anyone in the known universe, but on the PSP?

Has anyone else any tools, devices they cant live with out?

My swiss army knife.

vm_53919_sol_a02.jpg

It's one of the "cybertool" ones. Absolutely brilliant. From fixing hoovers to rescuing parties where the corkscrew has gone missing.... I use that puppy every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

To type on the psp, you can use a thing called the Danzeff keyboard. A picture is available below.

http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/23876/12433_newkey1.jpg

You use the analog stick to select which square on the grid, and you use one of the 4 buttons on the right to select which letter you want. With a little practice, you can type quite quickly.

Nice. Very nice. I may give that a lash.

My swiss got another big outing yesterday when I broke out my diy "skills". It has a seemingly endless supply of usefulness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I don't have one myself but a friend of mine has:
    http://craphound.com/images/warrantyvoidermake.jpg

Leathermans Warranty Voider. The handiest tool ever if you're into modding electronics. I especially love the pliers/wire strippers combo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

war driving app

Sounds nasty, what is it?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Sounds nasty, what is it?

Allows you to use other peoples wifi when you're out and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

allows you to use it or just detect and record details about it ? netstumbler etc ?

Advertisement