Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at buying a Vostro...I have some questions

Options
  • 22-10-2007 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

Right, so my last laptop has gone kaput and I'm in the market for a new one. At this stage I've read enough of these posts to know that the Vostro's are probably the best value for money, so I won't be asking about spec's. I know that the Vostro's must be the most hackneyed topic of the last few months, but any information on the following questions would be much appreciated.

Ideally I'd love to a laptop to play the VERY latest games, but I've accepted the Vostro won't (and on the money saved over buying a high spec XPS or other gaming laptop I could prob pick up a 360 or something). So what I'm wondering is if anyone who keeps an eye on hardware innovation would know whether it's likely that the Vostro will see any change in components in the immediate future? As in, I'd hate to buy one now and have them release a version with a 512mb graphics card or something like that before Christmas. Is now a time to buy or wait and see?

Secondly, is the 3-year warranty worth it? I would expect that since the Vostros are relatively new on the market that there have been few issues with them yet, but how do people find the quality and reliability of Dell laptops in general? Also what does the warranty actually cover? Is it just manufacturing defect? Would it be more cost efficient to just get the laptop insured?

I know there's a good few questions there, but like I said, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 8600Gt in the 1500/1700 is probably as good as it will get for the near future, especially for that price, and given that's its a business orientated laptop. If there was, for some reason, an upgrade, you'd be looking at significantly more money.

I don't know why you think the Vostros can't play the latest games, check out my screenshot thread here using my 950 Euro 1500. Granted it's not going to tear through everything at high res and settings but it's very acceptable for the odd gamer, which is exactly what I am given I have a decent desktop and there's no disputing the capabilities in relation to the price. Though the 8400GS option would definitely be a poor one for the latest games. For a serious, latest games at high settings laptop you'd be looking at something like an 8700GT or even 7950GTX (these are the mainstream, there are other cards but they are so rare there's no point mentioning them) but then you'd be literally doubling your budget.

Regarding reliability I've not really heard much about major issues, although a few regarding overheating gpu's have cropped up, not in significant numbers. Though it'd be a bit early to tell how they fare long term and if there will be any more issues. I find mine very well made, fairly basic aesthetically but very sturdy (1500).

The warranty can be worth it, in many cases. Peace of mind is great, and if you're going to be using the laptop a lot and for at least the period of the warranty, then why not? Personally I opted for 1yr+1yr accidental - the time my sister closed my thinkpad with a pair of headphones resting on the keyboard will probably haunt every purchase I make for the next decade...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Firstly I would straight off the bat recommend 3 year warranties on any laptops that anyone buys! They are worth it and will pay off in the end in my experience....
    The 512mb graphics card pipe dream ain't going to happen I don't think, as they will generally keep the higher end card either for Precision laptops or the XPS range, I reckon if you want a Vostro just go with the best spec'd model & graphics option you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

HavoK wrote: »
    the time my sister closed my thinkpad with a pair of headphones resting on the keyboard
    +1 to the list of things that make me cringe
    :)

Advertisement