Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over charged for course.

Options
  • 21-10-2007 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I started a course recently and when I paid the deposit of €100 a few months ago the cost on the web site stated €630. It is still that price on the web site today. However, when I went to pay the balance on Sat the man in charge of collecting the fee sai the course was €660. I questioned this and told him about the price on their web site and he explained that the website was up dated in May and the cost of the course was decided in Aug.

I paid €560 but I feel that I should and the other students get it for the advertised price of €630. Some one has since told me that he is with in his rights as the it is 'an invitation to treat'. Is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 modbhcci

I don't know about the 'invitation to treat' but if you were retail shopping, the price on display is the max. price you pay. As far I'm aware the shop cannot increase the price at the checkout if they failed to display an increased price on or near the goods. Paying a deposit should entitle you to the price at the time. I assume you didn't get a receipt or anything else showing a balance due of 530?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

modbhcci wrote: »
    I don't know about the 'invitation to treat' but if you were retail shopping, the price on display is the max. price you pay. As far I'm aware the shop cannot increase the price at the checkout if they failed to display an increased price on or near the goods. ...

funnily enough we've done the price in a shop thing several times here before. A price displayed in a shop or in an advertisement or a website or anywhere constitutes an "Invitation to treat". Basically the shop dont have to sell you at the price displayed. The wikipedia article on "Invitation to treat" is a pretty good summary.

The OPs situation is different as they paid. Presumably they received a receipt for the deposit. It is this receipt which forms the basis of any contract. So what did it say on the receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I don't know about the 'invitation to treat' but if you were retail shopping, the price on display is the max. price you pay. As far I'm aware the shop cannot increase the price at the checkout if they failed to display an increased price on or near the goods.?

Pretty sure this is incorrect, especially if the wrong price was put there in error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

Thanks to all who replied so far. I thought that in retail once the price said a certain amount, that was what the customer paid even if the price was made in error.

I never heard of 'invitation to treat before' but I will look it up as suggested.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a receipt. My friend paid the deposit for me so I do not know if receipts were being issued. Probably not as when I paid the balance I had to mark it on the envelope to forward a receipt and I got the impression that it would be a task for them.

So basically I don't have a leg to stand on???

Even if the web site is still stating €630?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

okgirl wrote: »

So basically I don't have a leg to stand on???

Even if the web site is still stating €630?

Legally probably not. However I would write a formal letter of complaint to the college in question advising that their website is still incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I don't know about the 'invitation to treat' but if you were retail shopping, the price on display is the max. price you pay. As far I'm aware the shop cannot increase the price at the checkout if they failed to display an increased price on or near the goods.
    As others have said, this is rubbish.
    Some stores might have a policy to this effect but its not law.
    Tesco for instance. If the marked price is wrong, they give you the item for free.

Advertisement