Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on ownership of artifacts?

Options
  • 21-10-2007 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Just for the sake of conversation!!!
    Ethical issues involved with the transportation of items from their native soil, any opinions???

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I feel artifacts should not be allowed to leave the country. Private ownership theoretically would be ok IMO, as long as the public were allowed to view the artifacts on a regular basis. As thats never going to happen, public ownership is the only workable solution to ensure the public gets to see valuable pieces of history, and they are not snapped by private collectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I agree with Irish law that all artefacts uncovered in excavation belong to the State. It makes sense- Irish heritage should belong to the Ireland. However, the storage and display of said artefacts is an entirely different matter...

As regards artefacts that have been removed from their country of origin... I think if the country requests that elements of their heritage be returned to them then they should be. The circumstances as to which those artefacts were gathered would usually be considered unethical by today's standards IMO...

I think exhibitions going on the road is a great thing though- would love to see the Terracotta warriors (anyone see the docu on BBC?) or King Tut's Gold in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I think exhibitions going on the road is a great thing though- would love to see the Terracotta warriors

Artifacts going on tour can be a good thing , however , in the case of the Terracotta warriors , I visited that site last year on honeymoon , and it would be a crime to remove them from the site , so in that particular case , no way should they be removed from where they are , that would be totally unacceptable as the site is kept in the best condition possible as it stands.

Visit it and you'll see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Power Chords

I'm a fan of touring items but there's alot to be said for seeing the in the initially proposed surroundings and the risk would have to be considered. It's just something I've been reading into lately. Item like the Parthenon marbels, the present Greeks have no real relation to the Greeks who built it and the Greek influence stretches much further than the coasts of modern Greece, so now who owns them?
    Also it must be considered that the Turkish were in control of Greece when the items were removed, wonder would England feel the same if it were Stonge Henge on Greek or even German soil.

Advertisement