Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod Touch question

Options
  • 20-10-2007 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

My daughter wants one of these for chrsitmas and her Uncle in the states says, he can get it over there for much cheaper price than here....Would anyone know the downfalls if any with getting one in the States?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

pretty sure there will be no problems with regards to it working over here.

they are charged by usb so it's a universal standard.

who ever brings it over may get stung for customs/import duty so may not work out as cheaply as once planned

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Thanks for that, Sure there is no way they would get stung as uncle would either bring it out of packet and put box in suitcase,he'd probably give it a good go before he hands it over...hehe....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

With the exchange rate as it is it works out cheaper than the 8gig version for the 16gig......Many thanks for the replies.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

you gotta love americas weak economy, the euro is really doing well... the brits must be in heaven with their sterling rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jazzieb

I'm just back from the US and bought one .. the only downfalls so to speak are that you have to buy the world adapter kit and the charger etc .. separately .. I bought the charger, adapter, the actual iPod touch 16GB for $578 which is €406 so a definite saving ..

One thing I would advise you to get the person in the US to do is download iTunes onto it and register it over there and put some gift cards on it as with the current exchange rate, that makes a lot of sense.

Jazzie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

jazzieb wrote: »
    I'm just back from the US and bought one .. the only downfalls so to speak are that you have to buy the world adapter kit and the charger etc .. separately .. I bought the charger, adapter, the actual iPod touch 16GB for $578 which is €406 so a definite saving ..

One thing I would advise you to get the person in the US to do is download iTunes onto it and register it over there and put some gift cards on it as with the current exchange rate, that makes a lot of sense.

Jazzie

But if you had of bought it here it would have only cost €399!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

amull87 wrote: »
    But if you had of bought it here it would have only cost €399!

yeah, I don't get how it cost him $539, seeing as it only sells for $399 (16GB)

Yes but with all the additional bits and pieces you have to buy if you don't already have an iPod like me - it doesn't come with the charger or the USB charger and I also needed the travel adapters and a case so the 406 includes all those extra bits.

Jazzie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yes but with all the additional bits and pieces you have to buy if you don't already have an iPod like me - it doesn't come with the charger or the USB charger and I also needed the travel adapters and a case so the 406 includes all those extra bits.

Jazzie

Yar, but you could have ebayed those items (for less), and they are optional so you don't need them...

still congrats on the touch, hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Jazzie
    Is that true, the ipod touch doesn't come with a usb cable??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Jazzie

ahh here, don't be silly,

it comes with a usb connection with which you can charge the touch, apple aren't that stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

yeah it comes with a usb cable which is perfectly capable of charging your iPod. But the charger is handy to have as well. Suppose if it's your first iPod it makes sense. They are pretty stingy though. Why can't the just include the charger like they used to?

because it wont fit in the box :P
    A lot of DAP Manu's are leaving out the wall charger these days, the worst company I've dealt with in this regard has been creative, who's products won't charge with just any wall adapter... Don't get me wrong, I love creative, I just don't get their broken philosophy

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it .. I needed the charger because I don't have a PC at home and I needed the travel adapter as I tend to have long stays away for work .. I suppose I'd be more pissed off if I'd bought them here. In the box, all you get is the usb cable and the actual dock, i.e., the little bit of plastic that's also in the charger box ..

Jazzie

I suppose I'd be more pissed off if I'd bought them here. In the box, all you get is the usb cable and the actual dock, i.e., the little bit of plastic that's also in the charger box ..

Jazzie

I don't quite follow?

But anyway, just be happy with your purchase, no need to worry about where you could have gotten the best deal, it's too late for that now.

Advertisement