Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student from germany

Options
  • 20-10-2007 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread so my apologies if it is not.

My friend from germany (where he lives) is in his final year of school and had planned to come to study third level here in the future. However, for various reasons he wants out of germany as soon as possible and would like to finish his second level studies here.

Is there any sort of financial benifit he would be eligible for if he was to come here as he would not be able to afford to rent somewhere to live for this time and would probably not have the time to work whilst still in secondary level.

any suggestions welcome

Comments

He can apply for a maintenance grant as per anyone else coming to study here - there are various income levels to be adhered to as well as other conditions. One of these conditions is a residency requirement which involves him having to be a resident of this country the October previous to his application. If he wasn't a resident then, the maximum he can obtain would be to have the registration fee paid for him (which would be a saving of approx. €800 or so).

Keep in mind that the above are the regulations for 2007/8, and if he is applying to start in 2008 they may change. In order to find out more information, he may wish to contact the Student Support Unit, who operate under the Dept. of Education here:

The Student Support Unit,
    Department of Education and Science,
    Portlaoise Road,
    Tullamore,
    Co. Offaly
    Tel: (0506) 21363 or (01) 8734700
    E-mail: StudentSupportUnit-Tullamore@education.gov.ie

Obviously if he is calling from Germany he would be calling 00353 506 21363 or 00353 1 8734700. He may be able to avail of grants from Germany while he is studying here. I haven't a clue where to begin with that, however.

Best of luck,

Dónal

Advertisement