Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Seekers Benefit/Allowance etc

Options
  • 19-10-2007 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I just have a couple of questions relating to the above!

I recently finished up a job after having an awful time of it, worked there for 6 months and hated every second of it.

I was a secretary, there was only 3 of us (the accountant, me and one other) the other two are related. The solicitor was lovely, but the other person was a really horrible person to work with, created an awful atmosphere, sometimes not speaking to me for days on end (nothing to do with me, she took her personal problems out on everyone), or else being really short with me, or just treating me like dirt. Anyway, I had just come to that job after being bullied in the previous one I was in (I worked there for a year and a half), the combination of the two jobs, the stress and all, caused me to have a breakdown, I just couldn't cope with the new job (the atmosphere etc) 6 weeks after starting I went to the doctor who diagnosed me with depression and advised medication, counselling etc

Anyway, I stuck with the job for as long as possible, hoping I'd eventually feel ok there, and combination of not wanting to leave anyone in the lurch leaving at the wrong time (summer holidays etc).

Anyway, I handed in my notice and finished there a month ago. I had a little bit saved and have been living on that ever since. I really have felt that I needed this break to clear my head, feel very nervous about going for a new job after having two bad experiences in a row and just wonder if there's anyway I can get financial help while I get better basically.

If not, I accept that I will have to go back to work and want to get Jobseeker's benefit to tide my over until then.

I live with my boyfriend, but effectively as flatmates, ie we are 50/50 on everything. Therefore I want to know would it be wrong to not declare that I am living with him, he does not contribute to me financially, borrowing money off him would be no different than borrowing off a parent or friend.

What is the amount you actually get? I've looked at the personal rate and increases and all that, does that mean you get the rate plus the increase, I earned over €500 per week ie €311 approx benefit per week?

Also, how do you prove that you are looking for work? I have a computer at home, but no printer. I would be applying by the internet for all jobs, just sending CVs off to recruitment agencies etc. How do I prove this? I have a decent CV and don't imagine that it will take me longer than a couple of weeks to find and start a job, as that has always been the case in the past, but want to apply for benefit all the same.

I'm not a fragile mess of a person, but have had a hard time the past two years and could do with clearing my head!

Sorry this is so long!! Any help muchly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Oh go straight down and apply to claim on your PRSI stamps - that's not means tested as far as I know.

Your entitlement this year is based on what you worked in 2005 so if you were working for majority of that year - you should automatically get it.

Take your P45, proof of address, any P60 you can dig out for this year (they might not ask), your birth certificate - that's all I can think of really at the moment. Just tell explain that you are actively seeking employment and have no savings etc.

Although I think they do frown on people leaving their jobs - it might just mean you have to wait a couple of weeks before it comes through (but you've been supporting yourself for a month so point this out). I think it's a bout 185euro a week. If they ask why you left - just say you are really trying to get into another company. Don't ever be tempted to lie and say they let you go as they may contact your employer and ask under what circumstances you left.

They will inevitably send you back for some other piece of paperwork or to register with FAS etc but you should get it in the end.

Good Luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Searlait

Cool, thanks for the info!

Slight problem though, I was traveling in Australia and Asia for 2004/5, I started work back in Ireland the first week of September 05, so I should have around 4 months worth of stamps, can I use these up so to speak, or is it just not enough to qualify?

I worked in Oz, but it was all cash in hand (fruit picking!!) so I have no tax back etc to claim from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Your only other option is jobseeker's allowance which is means tested. You will have to declare you are co-habiting. The rate is E185.89 plus E123.30 for a qualified adult.

Advertisement