Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star in a reasonably priced car - stale?

Options
  • 19-10-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

This is a rip of my post from here.

The "Star in a reasonable priced car" section used to be quite good but does anyone else think it is going a bit flat?

I just get the impression that it's the same every week. Perhaps they should think about mixing the segment up a bit? I think a clip showing the 'star' doing the circuit before tuition from the Stig and then a segment after tuition from the Stig with a comparison of pre and post lap times would be good.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I agree, the format is so rigid its got fairly dull. I'd love to see The Stig tutoring. It would be tricky but stars in thier own (possibly not so reasonably priced) cars would be good!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

mike65 wrote: »
    I agree, the format is so rigid its got fairly dull.
    Exactly, it used to be an interesting section but now it has become much more about the star's latest, play, movie, film, CD or book. A short interview with a few plugs for said star, a couple of jokes, the lap, a place on the board and then on to the next bit...

The format needs to change or the segment dumped imo. Stars in their own cars would be great but probably too much hassle for insurance companies.

People often complain (me included) that Top Gear never review 'ordinary' cars that are affordable by most people. What about if the segment changed to that each week the stig, or one of the presenters did a lap in a small car and reviewed it as they drove? One week a Seat Ibiza, next week a Mondeo, week after a Bravo/Mazda 3...etc.

I'm tired of seeing Zondas, Ferarris etc, then when you think they are about to review a small car, it turns out to be a super-hot-hatch version!

This would be a way of revitalising that section of the show while bringing it back to reality for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

That'll never happen I'm afraid - even Fifth Gear have followed suit there - all bloody Supercars - I agree totally though I mean what's the bloody point I much rather see a review of something I'm actually likely to own while I'm awake! Last time they did review "normal" cars they got their mothers to drive them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Do you really want to go back to reviews like this:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=t8KrSjC2a7M

or this:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=-1fQAa2OqXM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

How about instead of competing for the fastest time, have two celebrities race each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Do you really want to go back to reviews like this:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=t8KrSjC2a7M

or this:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=-1fQAa2OqXM ?

I think that Hammond and May could certainly do a much better and more fun job reviewing the equivalent cars today, yes. I'd like to see them give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

ah but top gear is about the extravagent...thats what makes it interesting IMO. if they started reviewing family saloons it would lose its appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I think Top Gear should do a little of both. Top Gear is all about extravagance and it shouldnt lose that element of the show but it should also take into account that not everyone is interested in the supercars and maybe do something with normal everyday cars/suv's etc

Remember RTE's version of Top Gear..."Drive"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

jasus those take me back! :) And there is no reason why such hum-drum real world cars could'nt be reviewed in same fashion just with modern Hammond/May humour and editing/filming techniques.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

The BBC and Top Gear have to cater for a minority audience and it's only a minority of people can afford supercars. :)

And yes, I say dump the Star in a Resonably Priced car segment, the only change they made was to change the brand of reasonably priced car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Top Gear is an entertainment show. Its far more entertaining to see them driving around in supercars and doing crazy stunts than watching James May review the new Vauxhall Astra.

Advertisement