Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony VAIO vista to xp...(utilities)

Options
  • 19-10-2007 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hey,

Im looking at buying an FZ21M and i want to put XP on it instead of vista. Does anybody know if the utilities supplied by sony are still compatible with XP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Does it really matter *that* much? The utilities supplied by Sony in the first place are generally rubbish that eat up the ram on all those expensive Vaio's that run a slow as hell straight out of the box (like Dell's) with all the crap-ware they throw on them.
    However to answer your question I imagine yes that they are compatible and even more I'd say you can re-download XP compatible versions from the Sony support website if you really want them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 boyracer87

it doesent matter bout the media center s**t they send out with them...they can keep that...its just the drivers i realy want...dont want to be left without a webcam or a memory stick reader that doesent work!!..i checked there support center and they only have them up for vista...makes sense that they would work i suppose!! Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it comes with Vista HOME you will need to buy a separate XP license.
    Of the OEM Vista's, only Business and Ultimate allow you to downgrade and then it's to XP Pro not XP Home.

Also if SONY don't supply drivers on their web site then they don't support them and if there is a problem then you are on your own.

TBH I'd consider a different brand/model or ask SONY what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Sony support seems to be a bit muck; But as the good Capt'n said you can put xp on it no prob, as long as its not got that stupid intel AHCI which needs a driver to boot your HDD to install Windows XP.

Normally the manufacturer will supply the sata driver.

Most laptops these days have Intel Chipsets and Broadcom or intel network cards so 3rd party drivers shouldnt be a problem; They may not be as optimised as the ones you would get normally from the manufacturer but will get you out of a hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 boyracer87

TBH I'd consider a different brand/model or ask SONY what the story is.

Thats part of the problem...getting in touch with sony seems to be imposible..i went into a sony center and they wern't able to tell me either..!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I wonder have any of you ever had a Vaio. I found their support Online/Phone pretty good and I just used oem Nvidia, Intel etc, drivers not the Sony ones which tend to be out of date, as with most big companies.

Advertisement