Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding School Ploy

Options
  • 19-10-2007 9:02am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Was there a time when you were young that you did something absolutely stupid to try to avoid going to school?

I can remember taking a sip of liquid dishwashing soap, which made me sick, but the bubbles gave me away!

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Oh God.. That brings me back.. I remember me and my friend devised a 'sick bottle' once.. we mixed all sorts of kitchen cupboard food items in a bottle and had planned to drink it to make ourselves sick and be allowed stay home from school... Never thinking that our mothers might find it suspicious that we were both sick on the same day (our mothers worked together).. Didn't work anyway.. just tasted foul :o :rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I recall eating little bits of paper til I felt ill & then would have to go home....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Once I opened the front door pretended to walk out then ran upstairs and hid in the wardrobe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Salty water ftw! Simple and effective and it won't leave you ****ed up for the whole day either! Can't imagine washing up liquid being too good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

jester77 wrote: »
    Salty water ftw! .

++

Also had to puke in earshot of your ma while pretending you were trying to hide it from her. Took some skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I had credibility. "Ma, I don't feel well" usually worked. I could also fool myself into thinking I actually was sick. I woke up one morning in second class, didn't want to go to school (teacher was a bitch), so I pretended to be sick. Then I spent the next two days actually feeling sick. Mind over matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Apparently, the best method, that I heard from an experienced school skipper (though I never tried it) is to drink mustard powder mixed with a little water.

My particular method was that most of the time I loved school and was worked hard so when I did feel like a day off all I had to do was say I was sick and my mum wouldn't question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Fevers - you'd thrash around til you were all hot and sweaty and when your mom came in with the thermometer you'd pop it in your mouth while she wasn't looking.

Or you could touch the tip of it against the radiator if you REALLY wanted to worry her....

Always worked for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I just went to a friends' house.
    His mother left for work early and he would leave the key outside for anyone who wanted to use it, if he wasn't at home himself.
    There was always someone there to play NES with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

star-pants wrote: »
    I recall eating little bits of paper til I felt ill & then would have to go home....
    Little rascal.

I had an ability to make myself look pale, and get sent home from school. Ah, nothing like missing Irish and getting to play Goldeneye instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Non of my play-acting worked! I was given a human lie detector as a parent.:)

Advertisement