Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Program needed to keep folders sync'd across a network using Vista

Options
  • 18-10-2007 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok,

I've tried backup programs before and I don't like them, they usually make some form of compressed archive that needs the original program to unpack.

I have 2 PC's on the network and my photos and music need to be kept syncd on both computers. Thing is I might add a few photos on one computer then I might add some music on the other.

Is there a syncing program available that will check for changes to each folder and update them accordingly when the other PC is turned on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

This is a free tool from Microsoft, maybe this will do what you are looking for:

SyncToy v1.4

Brief Description: SyncToy helps you copy, move, rename, and delete files between folders and computers quickly and easily.

I use rsync myself for exactly the same purpose, but it takes quite a lot of work and understanding to set up on windows machines, but it works great as it can back up small changes to huge files very quickly, even over slow internet connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

You could also use AllWaySync.

I've used SyncToy before and found it to be just fine. AllWaySync has a few more options though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

SyncBackSE/SyncBack Freeware gets great reviews. The free version doesn't support Vista though.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/index.html

Advertisement