Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have to reset the CMOS everytime PC starts up

Options
  • 18-10-2007 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I have to reset my CMOS on my PC everytime I turn on my PC. It was working fine for about 2 weeks, then one day I turned it off, and turned it back on the next morning and it didnt beep on start up and the mobo came up with AO (memory error) on the diagnostic light thingy. So, as I had problems with that before when setting up the PC, I flicked the switch on the mobo to reset the CMOS and it comes back on fine

However, I have to do this everytime.

I have:

OCZ 4 gigs ram
    ABIT nForce 680i IN9 32X
    Vista 64bit

think thats all the info u need...seems strange tho...any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sounds like a dead cmos battery. Replace it. or swap one from another board to see if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Anti wrote: »
    Sounds like a dead cmos battery. Replace it. or swap one from another board to see if that helps.

any idea where i can buy a new CMOS battery...is it just a normal lithium one or is it a special one?

Its a standard enough battery. Most pc shops will have them. Same will electrical stores too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

get them in chemists to i think.

Or any watch shop i think.. Best thing is to take your old battery with you to check against it.

• Advertisement

So I tried replacing the CMOS battery - still the same. My PC even shut down lately by itself, and had the "AO" message on the MOBO diagnostic thing again (memory error)

Any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Download this (iso image version) & burn it 2 a cd. Set your boot order to boot from cd drive 1st & boot to it & leave it running for several hours (preferably overnight). This willl test your memory for any errors. Report back when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Good thinking pogmothoin.

Just a thought OP. Have you tried upgrading your BIOS?

Good thinking pogmothoin.

Just a thought OP. Have you tried upgrading your BIOS?

nope havent tried that. how do u do so and does it mean i have to reinstall everything on the PC again no?

I presume I just go to the Abit website and look for the latest BIOS for my MOBO ye?

No. Go into your bios and check the version number. Then check the manufacturers site to see if their is an updated version, Usually it is only a matter of downloading it to floppy and then booting to the floppy. Be careful when you are doing it, messing this up will cause you ALOT of hassle.

Do try memtest also. As the error messages point you towards your RAM.

Also, remove and add the different sticks of RAM to troubleshoot and see if one is causing the problem. Does the computer still behave the same when you switch between the different sticks.

• Advertisement

No. Go into your bios and check the version number. Then check the manufacturers site to see if their is an updated version, Usually it is only a matter of downloading it to floppy and then booting to the floppy. Be careful when you are doing it, messing this up will cause you ALOT of hassle.

Do try memtest also. As the error messages point you towards your RAM.

Also, remove and add the different sticks of RAM to troubleshoot and see if one is causing the problem. Does the computer still behave the same when you switch between the different sticks.

yea same issue with ram

must try the CD image so and see what happens
    only problem with updating the bios is...i dont have a floppy drive...whoops

You can create a bootable BIOS ISO image file using another computer with a floppy drive and something like Nero Burning ROM.

But first of all try memtest.

Takes a few mins to set up and then you can walk away from it and let it do its trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Falcon I had the same problem as you with the same board but I couldnt even load vista. I eventually got the bios loaded via floppy after having to try numerous versions of the flash program. Just id be fairly confident a bios upgrade will sort your problems and that the memory is probably fine.

so i finally got around to trying to fix the PC...just put both the RAM sticks into the other two slots...works fine now lol. weird but hey, i dont care - it works now!

Perhaps it was a damaged memory module.

Glad you got it sorted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

to test the battery, unplug the PC from the mains, then press the on/off button to dischage any residual power. In the old days 15 minutes was enough to wait, these days better to wait over night. Power up PC and check the date/time in the BIOS, if it reset then you need a new battery.

to test the battery, unplug the PC from the mains, then press the on/off button to dischage any residual power. In the old days 15 minutes was enough to wait, these days better to wait over night. Power up PC and check the date/time in the BIOS, if it reset then you need a new battery.

yea i always turn off the PC fully at night - as in unplug it completely so there is no power. seems to be fixed now anyway. seems to be working fine :)

might have been a dodge memory slot oh well!

Advertisement