Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund or credit note

Options
  • 18-10-2007 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭

Back in July I put a deposit of 300euro on a kayak in the Great Outdoors.I've had problems with storage and transport so next year it will be more viable when I can at least afford my own car and roof-rack plus the days are getting shorter.

I went into Great Outdoors to see if I could get my deposit back and was told that this was not possible.I have the receipt which confirms the deposit and remaining balance.I was told that they could only give me store credit of 300euro and not the cash.

I have some knowledge on consumer rights but is it an either-or situation when it comes to refunds/store credit?Does this depend on tangibility?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you have the kayak yet?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My understanding* is that a deposit is an agreement to purchase. They could, in fact, sue you for the balance. If youre offered credit, Id say take it, I dont think theyre required to refund you at all.

*Only studied retail law very very briefly, so am open to correction.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭funloving

blackbelt wrote: »
    Back in July I put a deposit of 300euro on a kayak in the Great Outdoors.I've had problems with storage and transport so next year it will be more viable when I can at least afford my own car and roof-rack plus the days are getting shorter.
    QUOTE]

I really hope you can have your money back to spend also on other things of your interest.

I thought you were taking into consideration the idea of moving abroad though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

You're doing well to be offered a credit note. The shop is under no obligation to give you a refund as it's you're breaking the agreement. I'd say lots of places would make you forfeit your deposit completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I'm not giving out at all nor was I when I was told.From some of the responses,I am doing well to have a credit note but I am committed to buying the kayak

ps Funloving,I do intend to travel to southern Europe with or without kayak in tow but this might be too much hassle.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

A deposit means that the shop still makes money even if you pull out, as they've not been able to sell it to someone else in the meantime .. or it's cost them x to get it in stock. In this case you've pulled out of the agreement and they've offered it back by way of a credit note.

Fair play to them I reckon, be happy :)

Advertisement