Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which 6.5x55 round?

Options
  • 18-10-2007 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I’m due to pick up a 6.5x55 any day now and curious to know what is the thinking about round (make, weight etc.) in that calibre is best suited for deer.

The dealer who I’m getting the gun from has one round for 6.5 which is a Federal 140gr soft tip I think. This is probably not a bad place to start but I am thinking something smaller, possibly with ballistic tip, might do the job better. Does anyone have any other opinions on what does the job best for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

have used Lapua 156g and I have never had a runner with (heart/lung) shots. Some have said this is too heavy and slow, well they've never ran!

I've also used remington 139g, same result.

The important thing is bullet placement and don't shoot beyond 200yds max.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bogteal

i shoot lapua 139g on my 6.5 55 it does the job very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

i don't use anything other than lapua 139grns for deer. but as with anything other than a .50, shoot placement is everything

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

One of my favourite subjects to rant about, i have tried alot of rounds including the lapua, federal, hornady, remmy and out of that lot the lapua is probably the most consistent BUT there is a round that is the daddy of them all for 6.5 and i have been using it for two years without a problem its 125gr ballistic tip Norma, now people will tell you that is too light but believe me theese things can put the biggest lads down like a light switch provided of course it is put in the right place, the down side (and there is always a down side) is they are very very hard to get and very expensive, i got 200 of them two years ago and still have 60 or 70 left after my shooting buddy fleeced a couple of boxes and im trying to get another batch but if you are tight with money then forget about theese bullets. You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get. I have attach a pic of a 25 stone red stag shot at 201yds heart/lung with one of theese bullets and he just dropped dead on the spot. Worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sharpie

Thanks for the tips so far all. very impressive sixpointfive. Won't hurt to get a price anyhow. I'd really like to get something that I might stick with. Any chance they stopped doing those and replaced them with 120gr?...norma website has a ballistic tip in 120 gr

http://www.norma.cc/sortimentjakt.asp?Kaliber=9&Lang=2&Kalibernamn=6,5x55 (2nd from bottom)

• Advertisement

my mistake sir, they are 120gr, they around 45-50eu a box depending on where you get them, if i track them down i will let you know, WELL worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sharpie

Great stuff - thanks. Would be keen to give that a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

dfaf wrote: »
    i don't use anything other than lapua 139grns for deer. but as with anything other than a .50, shoot placement is everything

You would want to be placing the shots well, as far as I know the only 139grn Lapua 6.5 x 55 round is FMJ and certainly should not be used to kill deer!

DJKH wrote: »
    You would want to be placing the shots well, as far as I know the only 139grn Lapua 6.5 x 55 round is FMJ and certainly should not be used to kill deer!
    Lapua 6.5x55 scenar HPBT (Hollow Point Boat Tail.)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

dfaf wrote: »
    Lapua 6.5x55 scenar HPBT (Hollow Point Boat Tail.)

apologies, i stand corrected, however as a HPBT I still believe it is not suitable for hunting, soft nose expanding bullets would be more appropriate.

• Advertisement

I have used those and while very accurate and consistent i found them poor for expansion and tend to go straight through with little effect unless you hit bone. Have any of you tried the Naturalis bullet from Lapua?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

dfaf,

As others have pointed out you need to focus on hunting bullets not target bullets. ;)
    Take a look here:
    http://www.norma.cc/content.asp?Typ=26&Lang=2&Submeny=2&Rubrik=Hunting%20bullets

hmm might be worth investigating. but i aint paying €45-50 for normas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

I do not believe anyone is saying you have to buy a particular brand per say .... but bullet design is very purpose driven.

http://www.norma.cc/content.asp?Typ=40&Lang=2&Submeny=2&Rubrik=Expansion

They are ridiculous with the price but it something to do with the UK distributor, im telling you they worth every cent when they strike tho, maybe i got completley SADDLED when i bought them so it will be interesting to see if anyone else stocks them, im going to do some ringing around tomorrow and see where that gets me. I also have a box of Lapua Naturalis in 175gr that i have not tried but i like a light ish fast flat shooting bullet that expands quickly and deposits the energy in the desired place and the 120 norma ticks all the boxes for that, i did hear those naturalis ones are very good for heavy animals.

Advertisement