Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vostro 1500 - Vista or XP

Options
  • 18-10-2007 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering what operating system you would recommend for a 2GB RAM Vostro 1500 (here), Vista or XP?

Probably the heaviest thing I need to run on the PC would be Java/J2EE development tools such as Eclipse etc. Besides this I just want to surf the net, do downloads, watch the odd DVD etc.

Any advise is welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Either would work fine but for sheer ease of use I would use XP. I have Vista on my 1500, ordered by accident, and I hate it. It's not as bad as it could be, for example most things, driver wise, do work, but it's just much slower then XP - particular upon start up for the first few days, it's horrible, and a select few of my games do not work.

It's really a personal preference. At this stage it performs fine for me, but there's still something about it I'm just not comfortable with...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

Cheers Havok,

Personally I have no major reason to move to Vista. If Vista is only an updated look and feel but is much slower than XP, I think I'll go with XP.

Thanks.

If you get Vista Business, which comes with the Vostros anyway, you should have a license to downgrade to XP if you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Why not Vista? I have a Vostro 1500 with Vista Ultimate & it's not slow at all... Plus it's the future, it's getting better all the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

acorkonian wrote: »
    vista sucks major ass..
    Great input there. Thanks for that.

HavoK, Vista is slow initally until it indexes everything from what I've gathered.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know that, that's why I said it was initially slow, but that aside, there's just something about it I really don't like. Vista is really 50/50 user wise, half like it, and half hate it, the majority of hater's being people who use PC a lot for various tasks and gaming vs. just normal day to day usage.

HavoK wrote: »
    Yeah, I know that, that's why I said it was initially slow, but that aside, there's just something about it I really don't like. Vista is really 50/50 user wise, half like it, and half hate it, the majority of hater's being people who use PC a lot for various tasks and gaming vs. just normal day to day usage.
    I'd disagree with you there, I use my laptop all the time, for college (software development); regular music & internet; and also some games, and there's no way i'd switch back to xp..

Although i suppose it is a personal choice...

Some of my older games don't work on Vista; Fear Combat is one, though it should work, I just can't get it to, with reinstalling, compatiability mode, anything. There was one or two more, can't remember exactly what they were though. All in all, performance is not really an issue, maybe loosing a frame or two off XP but nothing to cry about. But aside from the games, I plain just don't like Vista. Though I will have to cede apart from the games there's no overwhelming valid reason...just dislike it. Probably more the dislike change. :)

HavoK wrote: »
    Probably more the dislike change. :)

You got a point there, change is bad... But in the long run, you will have to change at some stage, why not now??

Advertisement