Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NanoWrimo

Options
  • 17-10-2007 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

Anyone here doing it this year? I will...seeing as I have nothing else to do :cool: (No homework etc etc).

For those of you dont know what it is- Basically it is Novel Writing Month (1-30 November) Where one must (Painstakingly) write a 50,000 word novel in one month. Emphasis is not on quality, but quantity.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/ has further info

I'm entering it :D

Wish me luck!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I did this .. three years ago now, when I was in third year. Pretty intense!
    Gotta write like 2000 words a day. Was a good thing to do because I can actually say I've written a book now, a book which I hope I'll never see again and is probably the worst thing I've written, but... a book nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Im trying depserataly to come up with a plot....

1666 words minimum I worked out. Will be pretty tough...

I had a vague premise. The plot went out the window as time went on. The story turned into a snowball, getting steadily out of control, then somehow bursting into flame... but miraculously coming to a smoking stop at the finish line. I got all 180 pages printed off too, so I have a hefty and impressive looking manuscript out of it. Unfortunately the story is almost too mangled to repair.

When I did it I had it 2000 words a day so I would have days off if I recall, because you never know when you mightn't be able to write for a day or whatever. Also, if you're anything like me, force yourself to get the day's writing done before you go online, because otherwise it may never happen.

True. I'm doing work experience for the first two weeks of November, finish work at 3.30 therefore I'll have all evening to write. No work Wednesday, either.....

Problem is, I cant do anything on the computer without having MSN/Mozilla etc running in the background........lol

Having msn/anything running instantly makes it impossible for me to do anything, I just become distracted and find myself idly browsing things before I'm even aware of it.

Also, look at this program: http://they.misled.us/dark-room
    Looks pretty cool, I downloaded it a while ago but never used it, but in theory it seems good. When I did the nanowrimo I just used Word and I got addicted to a) saving every two seconds and b) checking my wordcount every two seconds, which undoubtedly slowed me down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

I would proberbly give this a go, if not for the fact this week, its first week, is mid term break. I know I wouldn't be able to motivate myself to do any work on it this week. If I was at school the majority of this month, different story, I could work on the plot at school :D and write at home. Also ,Work Experience 3rd week of the month is another factor.

Just had a look at the forums , I'm very interested their sister project Script Frenzy. Might start working on a plot for that and do that one when it comes around in June.

Thanks for that link....it looks good. Cept I have Word 2007- it displays the word count at the bottom of the screen :D and I have it set to save every minute lololol!

Script Frenzy looks interesting. Good time of the year for it to be held... Don't know if I could do that though. Hard enough writing a novel...never mind a screenplay!

Starts in just over 3 hours. No, I wont be staying up to get a head start :D

I have a good plot at this stage. Just have to drag it out! I have shown the plot (In strict confidence!) to a trusting person who approved of it..thought it sounded good

I recall when I did it, if I felt I was getting through the plot (what little I had) too quickly, I'd send my characters into a random situation and spend a while messing with that.
    Of course, the less advice you take from me, the better your book is going to turn out. : p

Im ahead of target so far, just after reaching 3,500 words. 15% of the way there woohoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

So how did it go for you in the end?

Got stuck at around 14,000 words.

Have not gotten un-stuck yet :(

Advertisement