Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After cleaning and redocarating landlord has given me one week to move :(

Options
  • 17-10-2007 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I spent hundreds of euros on putting down a new carpet and painting my flat because it had always been needing it done and my landlord now says he wants me out by this day next week. Right now I'm paying €115 a week for my bedsit in Dublin 7. The maximum I can pay is €600 and that's including rent allowance of €400 a month which I am planning to ask the landlord of the new place to agree to when I meet him face to face rather than do so over the phone. And even that I can only pay €600 if the landlord will agree to tell the health board that I'm paying €460 because if it's any higher they won't give me the €400 rent allowance :(

I'd prefer to live alone in a bedsit with my own bathroom. I don't care where for the moment because I don't mind getting buses to college. I just need to know I will have somewhere to live and study this day next week.

I've looked on daft, myhomeletting (which had no bedsit at all) and gumtree to no end. Help me please, I'm desperate :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

The minimum amount of notice you need to be given is 28 days and it must be in writing. The landlord can not throw you out with only a weeks notice unless there is anti-social behaviour or other specific reasons. Get in touch with Threshold and explain the details to them as they are experts in this area and are there to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 warriorpoetic

I rang threshold and they said that because I'm here 5 years the time to be given is 84 days in writing and if he doesn't agree to that I can contact PRTB (I think) and the tenacy will be frozen until the case is heard.

I told the landlord this and he shouted at me "If you wanna get funny with me I'll get funny with you, alright? I don't care about solicitors. You've a week and that's it or you're on your back, alright?".

I took that to mean that if I'm not here with all my stuff out with the keys waiting for him I will be physically removed.

The chubb lock keys to a vacant flat upsatairs were lost before and I watched as the landlord's men simply drilled through the lock and got in. So I can't just simply not open the door when he calls next week if I have nowhere to go.

I'd really just rather be gone by the weekend and leave the keys with a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

he sounds like a right nasty peice of work..

If it were me I would ring the guards and make a complaint against him, that way its on the record incase he does something against you..

At worst, ring threshold back and tell them he has physically threatened you and see what they say..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I told the landlord this and he shouted at me "If you wanna get funny with me I'll get funny with you, alright? I don't care about solicitors. You've a week and that's it or you're on your back, alright?".
    And he's a prime example of why landlords can have such a bad name. Has he given any reasons for wanting you out so quickly? Why did you decorate - was it to cover up damagers incurred and that's the reason he's looking to have you out?
    I took that to mean that if I'm not here with all my stuff out with the keys waiting for him I will be physically removed.
    If you're not in breach of your contract and he attempts to do this, I believe you'd be within your rights to notify the Gardai on grounds of assault charges. Whilst you're the tenant there, you're the primary occupier of the house and get those rights, including trespassing. Physically removed sounds like potential assault, which is far more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Don't go anywhere, he's just being a bully. You have a right to stay there so stay until you get yourself sorted out. Don't stress over it and make sure you get a place you're happy with. Just tell him the law is on your side and if he doesn't watch how he treats you you'll have to get the law involved. If he doesn't respect you, don't respect him. You have no reason to be nice to him since you're getting kicked out anyway, but not until the time that you are entitled to:) Tell him if he has a problem call your friend (and give him the landline of your local garda station:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

This story doesn't make much sense!!
    Why if you were a model tenant for 5 years would your landlord suddenly give you 1 week to pack your things & get out & be really agressive with you when you try to stand up for your rights?

What reasons has he given you?

Are there things to this story that you're not telling us?

I'm not saying you're keeping selective things from us, your landlord might just be a complete nutter, but he'd have to be to behave like that!!!
    Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As said, if he attempts to force his way in or does something like change the locks, then contact the Gardai. If he does change the locks, get a locksmith to break/change the locks again and bill him for the cost.

As said, you've been there for five years which means you're entitled to 84 days notice.
    So I can't just simply not open the door when he calls next week if I have nowhere to go.
    Yes you can. If he mentions anything about forcing his way in, just tell him you're calling the Gardai and you'll have him arrested for breaking into your home.

Although you say you'd prefer to be out, you need to stand up for yourself a bit here. Bullies only win because people give in and don't enforce their rights. This is your home, you have a constitutional right to have it secure and private. He cannot just force you out. By all means keep looking for somewhere to live, but on your terms. Don't accept somewhere that you're not happy with, and don't just give up and leave until you have somewhere else to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Get a load of friends around with camcorders. Call Joe Duffy or Adrian Kennedy as it is happening - they'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would call threshold immediately and see what they say. I would be inclined to think a threat like that should be reported to the Gardai so they know in advance what the situation is, but listen to Threshold.

I can sympathize with you not wanting any trouble. It's one thing to talk about standing up to a guy like this on a forum, it's another thing to actually do it In Real Life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 doll2824

you know threshold can call your landlord if you want them to.that might scare hime into thinking he can bully you.in the mean time.go to your local police station,fill out a report and tell the police your situation.be calm about it.ask for help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

To be honest, if I was you I'd be breaking out the champagne around now. The PRTB deals regularly with illegal evictions, and the damages awarded have been around the €10,000 to €15,000 mark. This little stunt could turn into quite the handy windfall for you.

On the more immediate problems, alert the Guards NOW, don't wait until he's dumped your worldy goods into a skip. That way when they start drilling the lock, the Guards will know whats going on straight away and will be ready to deal with it. You might even have one of them waiting while he does it.

Don't take any guff, but don't lose the head either. Remain calm regardless of the actions he takes. The more damage he does the more he'll end up paying into your pocket. Open a case with the PRTB immediately.

If he doesn't care about solicitors, he will before too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Why has this old thread been resurrected?

Advertisement