Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steyr SSG P11 .243-ammo recommendations please?

Options
  • 17-10-2007 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭

Long shot, no pun intended, anyone with an SSG P11 in .243?

Can anyone recommend factory ammo that they have used for this rifle. I'm looking for long range (200m+) groups in paper nothing else, so energy, bullet weight etc. unimportant. I know that no 2 SSGs are quite the same.....

I can't be bothered to reload and I can't afford to buy 20 different brands to try out.

If laziness is a crime, take me away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭freddieot

Good luck with the rifle. I had an SSG for a few years and it was very accurate.

The one I had hated any kind of Remington ammo. Could never get decent groups with it so save yourself some money there.

I found the best was Federal 85grain, BT HP if I remember correctly. This was the best at 200.

Hornady was also very good, (I think it was 58grain Ballistic Tip), possibly the best at 100 but 200 was more of a stretch for it.

Lapua was okay to use but the tighter groups came from the Federal.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Hi G 17,

Like, Freddie, I also had a Steyr SSG P11 in .243.

From my records I would suggest that you try out the following factory ammo.

First, Hornady 58gr V-Max Molly Coat, I found them brilliant out to 400yds.

Second, Sako 90gr Speedhead FMJ, pretty good out to about 300yds.

Third, Federal 70gr Speer TNT Hollowpoints, same as Sako but not consistant.

All of the above worked brilliantly through my rifle, worth a go.

For long distance shooting, from 400-1,000yds, I would strongly suggest that you brew your own ammo.

Best of luck with your rifle, mine was the best .243 that I ever had, I'm still sorry to this day that I sold it...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Thank you VERY much for the replies guys (gals maybe? I need to be more p.c. I guess).

Laziness aside it's increasingly difficult to find time with young'uns and all. I love the science part of shooting generally but this time I wanted to get a head start instead of running around a field for half a day with shoot 'n see stickers, pens, staple guns, binoculars, A4 pages blowing around, going BACK down range for your pen, going BACK up range for your rounds that you left behind, getting a flyer causing phone call.......you know the drill.

Thank you again for taking the time to post, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭freddieot

No Problem G. Best of luck with the rifle. If this was the US etc. I would have kept mine but had to get rid of it to get another fullbore (usual story).

By the way, a few of my friends also had the SSG. I had no problems with mine but some of them had problems with cracks appearing in the mag well. Keep an eye out for this as Steyr will replace it for you FOC through the dealer.

One of the main things is not to mess with the stock retention screws as this can be fa factor in making this happen as the torgue is changed when you put the rifle back together again.

freddieot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Any recommendations for SSG in 308, i am waiting for my license to come through?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

freddieot wrote: »
    I had no problems with mine but some of them had problems with cracks appearing in the mag well. Keep an eye out for this as Steyr will replace it for you FOC through the dealer.

One of the main things is not to mess with the stock retention screws as this can be fa factor in making this happen as the torgue is changed when you put the rifle back together again.

freddieot

Thanks for the heads up I'll keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Sorry Traumadoc, try the Midlands, some of the guys down there have SSG's and I think some of them are in .308.

Advertisement