Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freedom of Information and O2

Options
  • 17-10-2007 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭

Some of the time I top up using 02 direct debit with a laser card.I have done this 3-4 times now.

The last time I topped up,the woman on the phone told me that somebody tried to use my card number to top up on one occasion in the past.

Now I never ever lost my laser card or had it fall into the wrong hands so I thought this was strange.The woman went on to tell me that the transaction this person tried was never processed so this was a relief.

The woman told me to get onto my bank just to be sure.She was also quick to waiver any possible mistake on 02 part.I asked her could she give me the details of the number/person who tried to top up using my card number and she said that it is 02 policy not to give out that information.

I think that this whole episode is really odd.Surely this could fit under the category of fraud?I am considering the possibility that it was a mistake on the part of the individual who was trying to top up.The question I want to ask is,is this a violation of the freedom of information act?

I'm considering notifying the Gardai but my bank account statement which came in yesterday does not show any dodgy transactions on my account/withdrawals.I haven't rang the bank but my statement is accounted for until last week.I don't know the extent or nature of this.Has anybody encountered this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Do you top up online? I do and have my Laser card registered on o2.ie. You can select an alternate number to top up and not just your own, so maybe someone managed to log on to you your online account and tried topping up their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I've never actually topped up online and don't use 02 for their online services.When I top up,I go to the shop or ring their telephone service.I've no idea how this could happen but I was thinking there may be a security issue there or was it a typo 02 entered in when the other person went to make an order.

It is good that they didn't process this order as I believe they have stringent security questions but this episode has surely put me off using their telephone card service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

blackbelt wrote: »
    The last time I topped up,the woman on the phone told me that somebody tried to use my card number to top up on one occasion in the past.

The woman told me to get onto my bank just to be sure.She was also quick to waiver any possible mistake on 02 part.I asked her could she give me the details of the number/person who tried to top up using my card number and she said that it is 02 policy not to give out that information.

Surely this could fit under the category of fraud?I am considering the possibility that it was a mistake on the part of the individual who was trying to top up.The question I want to ask is,is this a violation of the freedom of information act?
    You can ask for information about YOUR details, not someone else which is what you did. On top of that you're claiming it as possible fraud and want to investigate it yourself which is outside your jurisdiction as a private person.

Only one that would get this information from O2 is the police with a request which would require to be verified as coming from the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

blackbelt wrote: »
    It is good that they didn't process this order as I believe they have stringent security questions but this episode has surely put me off using their telephone card service.

I'd recommend registering online and topping up that way. Nice and simple.

When you ring up, do they verify your Laser card number each time, or do they keep it on record? If it's on record then it was likely a mistake on someone's part. If not, then the other person must have had your number somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP: got any kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Freedom of Information Acts apply to public bodies only (govt departments, local authorities etc). I guess you are thinking about the Data Protection Acts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

O2 could concievably be in alot of trouble for handing you those details. They need an official request for them from the Gardai. They were doing you a favour by telling you, in fact. If you are really worried about it, get onto your local Gardai and ask them to pursue it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There have been a spate of cards being used for top-ups. What happens is your card is swiped when you use it perhaps in a restraunt/filling station/shop and a copy of the card is made by the person who is charging your card (it gets swiped a second time in a tiny little device that stores the data on its magnetic strip). They then recreate your card and try to use it for a few small purchases (top-ups and train tickets are common) before going for the kill with flights/large purchases. Apparently there has been a spate of this in the Dublin area over the past few months (my boss and a one colleague got hit with this). I'd take what the o2 person said at face value and check your statement for any suspicious transactions- even small ones, and report the whole lot to your bank.

From what I was told- the suspicious transactions all tend to be done online (not sure why?)

I am guessing this is what happened.

S.

Advertisement