Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing Toshiba with Fujitsu XP Home SP1

Options
  • 17-10-2007 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

I have a Toshiba A45-S121 Laptop here, with XP Home SP1 on it. It was riddled with nasties - AVG picked up 1450 infections. Having got rid of hopefully all evils, the lappy's still a bit jumpy, so I want to do a repair on it (I wan't to avoid a fresh install if possible).

BUT, it's not my laptop and I don't have the repair CD that would have come with it. I do have a repair CD that came with a Fujitsu machine, can I use that for the XP repair, or are these discs tailor made for each machine? I've never actually used one of those repair discs so just want to make sure it's not going to go ar5e over ear half way through the repair.

Thanking you!

EDIT: Oh, and another thing. Qttask.exe which is the update searcher exe for Quicktime was, and still is shooting up to 100% each time the laptops turns on, so I just have it disabled now, but any idea what might cause this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

You should be fine, there both OEM cd's that shipped with the laptops so as long as the Fujitsu cd is XP SP1 and not SP2 it should work fine and because both laptops have OEM XP Licenses it should take the XP code from the Toshiba laptop too. I reckon you should be ok, but do a backup if its important files on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

This will only overwrite the existing install of xp, all your files and settings will still be there. You won't be rid of viruses. Trend micro have a free online scanner as do symantec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭onechewy

Hal1 wrote: »
    This will only overwrite the existing install of xp, all your files and settings will still be there. You won't be rid of viruses. Trend micro have a free online scanner as do symantec.

Yeah, I know it just overwrites, but I'm thinking as the combination of AVG, Spybot, Adaware and Hijackthis helped me remove about a gabillion nasties from the machine, it wouldn't surprise me if something got a little screwed up along the way and a repair might fix that.

I'll give it a go now anyway, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Also run Dr.Web antivirus, great piece of free software
    ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/cureit.exe
    Well the removal tool is free but the Active protection software costs a bit but I highly recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭onechewy

majiktripp wrote: »
    Also run Dr.Web antivirus, great piece of free software
    ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/cureit.exe
    Well the removal tool is free but the Active protection software costs a bit but I highly recommend it!

Thanks for that tip! I gave it a whirl, and an hour later, it detected at least 10 more infections that slipped past AVG. After reboot the lappy was nice and zippy (well, as zippy as can be expected from 256MB), so I didn't bother with the repair as it didn't seem to need it after all.

Job done and lappy handed back to owner, and before lunch too :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement