Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax Debit Card Problems

Options
  • 16-10-2007 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Changed to HALIFAX recently from BOI and have experienced problems with retail outlets not accepting their Visa debit card, I know Aldi and Lidl are Laser only but some major retail outlets ( Arnotts and M&S ) do not appear to support the HALIFAX card. Have other customers experienced the same problem and how widespread is it. And no it was not lack of funds in the account.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It should be accepted without a problem if they accept Visa credit cards. They might not be able to offer cashback, but payments should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Had a problem in a garage recently. Very embarassing and frustrating.

Halifax have been nothing but crap for me. I've checked my account today and money has gone missing into some random direct debit. Tomorrow will be my 8th visit into them in 2 months to sort out problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

So much for the competition :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep, I'v had that problem with a few places with mine , Vodafone and a petrol station too. Too be fair that's really not Halifax's fault these companies are using outdated systems and probably will sort themselves out over time, I just dont give them my business anymore.

My main bugbear is how few places will give cashback despite the fact that the debit card has DEBIT written in large letters across it. I suppose it just will take time for Ireland to wake up to visa debit cards and a new bank on the market.

I've found the online banking to be very good have to say. No filling out forms to set up standing orders, ability to transfer to other accounts/other peoples/companies all online without having to do it over the phone or in person very nice.
    Interest on my current account plus no costs also is a nice bonus.

Also Sarturday banking gets a thumbs up here, come to think of it, overall I'm pretty happy with their service.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭curiousxxx1

Merchants only started giving Cashback or actually accepting the Halifax card from the 1st of October. Previously your Halifax card would go under the Visa but now it should be ROI visa and offer Cash back where there is Laser Cashback. You can actually report M&S because they should accept the new card whether to give cash back or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wish bloody Esso on the N11 would accept them.

Had a very embarrising encounter in one the other day. There was a massive queue of people behind me and the guy kept putting the card in the machine and it just wouldnt accept it.
    Eventually I had to pay with an old mbna card I rarely if ever use due to exorbitant interest rates, with everyone staring at me ....won't be going back there again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 siobhcc

commited wrote: »
    Had a problem in a garage recently. Very embarassing and frustrating.

Halifax have been nothing but crap for me. I've checked my account today and money has gone missing into some random direct debit. Tomorrow will be my 8th visit into them in 2 months to sort out problems.

I am in the exact same position, I have two "pending transations" at the moment that cetainly are not mine. ( I know this for a fact)
    I was told when I got the Visa Debit I could use it for cash back and I cant and I ended up looking after the switching process myself as they messed it all up for me!!
    I rang them yesterday evening where I held for 25 minutes and they still were not able to resolve my query regarding these mysterious transactions -apparently they dont have visability on them until they show up- but cant tell me when they may show.
    Also I find that my balance is never a true reflection of my balance as it takes them so long to add in cash withdrawals!!!!

Then (and this is my pet peeve with banks) sent me a letter saying I had earned 65cent interest in a certain period- it costs them that much nearly to send the flipping letter!!!! :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

offer Cash back where there is Laser Cashback.

where did u find this out? haven't heard anything like that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Looks like I'm not the only one with money going out despite not spending it myself - hope I can get this resolved asap.

I also had an embarresing situation where my card was rejected yesterday too - had to run out and get money out at the ATM with my girlfriend's card because I thought my account was dry (didn't realise shops were having trouble accepting the halifax card).

Spoke to them today, have to get back to them tomorrow... stupid stuff.

Advertisement