Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Req - Wireless network extenders

Options
  • 16-10-2007 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hi,

1. Do they work?
    1a. Can they be used with 'proprietary' adsl boxes?
    2. How much and where are the best buys??

tnks, Barry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fisiu

If I understood, You want make your broadband wireless? If yes, please give us info about your current broadband (ISP, kind of adsl modem).

We will chose something.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Fisiu wrote: »
    If I understood, You want make your broadband wireless? If yes, please give us info about your current broadband (ISP, kind of adsl modem).

We will chose something.

No, I have wifi, I want to extend the range, I saw a few references to kit for doing that.

tnks, Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fisiu

ohh, sorry.

So what range you have now, and what would you like to have? I didn't use any "extender". Usually, good result you can achieve mounting extra aerial to your pc & wifi router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You need a piece of kit that support WDS, expect half the throughput though.

You do need to have a wireless router that supports WDS though.

I dont know what you mean by propritiary dsl modem though .. im assuming netopia/eircom modem or something.

Doesnt support WDS afaik, without support for it your boned i'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

craichoe wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a wireless router with wds that allows for a proper (ie. that can be run with a short cable outdoors) external antenna to be attached??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

craichoe wrote: »
    You need a piece of kit that support WDS, expect half the throughput though.

I dont know what you mean by propritiary dsl modem though .. im assuming netopia/eircom modem or something.

Doesnt support WDS afaik, without support for it your boned i'm afraid.

That's what I meant by 'proprietary' - maybe doesn't support WDS?? I'm in France just now (split my life between Ireland and France) and have a Trio 3D box supplied by the ISP, Neuf. For ex, their docs for the wifi card for the box says it doesn't allow a second pc to be connected, a bit strange as it has a LAN port also....On the forums for the ISP there are lots of workarounds for all sorts of stuff vis a vis the Trio 3D, such as setting it uo as a router, but nothing on wireless extenders. I'll try asking about WDS.....

I want to 'extend' 30 metres or so from the box through a wall to outside.

Thanks, Barry

Advertisement