Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Archaeology as a Mature Student

Options
  • 16-10-2007 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am very interested in studing Archaeology and have been considering applying as a mature student (Im 24).

Where can I study Archaeology? Does anyone have any idea which colleges do it? I haven`t had much luck searching the net so far.

Thanks,

Ruth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cookiebliss

Where are you based? UCD has a really good archaeology undergraduate course! Jus completed it last year and now doing the MA. definitly wud recommend it......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I second the above post. I did my undergrad at UCD School of Archaeology. The staff are great and very supportive.

By the way I was an older student too... I cannot be classed as mature:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Hey boneless, did you get my pm from last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 gal_anonim

Hi,

just wondering what about people who are older (29 and more)?
    How old can you be at the maximum if you want to go to college in Ireland? Is there any option to just study[not necessarly for a degree as I already have one]? And is there Egyptology course in which I would be actually more interested than in Archeology?

Hey boneless, did you get my pm from last week?

Got it mate but haven't got around to replying yet!!! Sorry....

• Advertisement

gal_anonim wrote: »
    Hi,

just wondering what about people who are older (29 and more)?
    How old can you be at the maximum if you want to go to college in Ireland? Is there any option to just study[not necessarly for a degree as I already have one]? And is there Egyptology course in which I would be actually more interested than in Archeology?

Well, I was 37 when I started my BA course. There was one guy there in his 60's... never too late!!

Check out Trinity for stuff on Egypt. They are more into the Classical archaeology than UCD as far as I know. There is a Cert. in Archaeology at UCD but it is mainly prehistoric Ireland that is covered.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Ruthie-Roux

I logged onto the UCD website and cant find any Archaeology course.....

I logged onto the UCD website and cant find any Archaeology course.....

Should be there... however, all the courses have started for this year. Check out the Adult Education Centre at UCD too. There might be some special interest field trips organised by the School of Archaeology. They can be very good, especially if Dr. John O'Niell conducts them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

UCC, NUIG, Sligo IT and GMIT also offer archaeology degrees as well as Queen's in Belfast.

I did my BA and MA at NUIG and thought it was really good.

You do know that archaeology in universities is usually part of an Arts degree? In some uni's you can do pure archaeology but you still have to do the first year of the BA.

GMIT does Heritage Management which includes archaeology but is sold as a more practical qualification methinks.

If you already have a degree you can do the HDip in Archaeology in NUIG which I've heard great things about.

Best thing to do is to scrawl through the various websites.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Power Chords

Plenty of mature student takin' archaeology in Trinity, yup, it's classical, we touch on Egypt but it's mainly Greek and Roman!

• Advertisement
Advertisement