Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Vaio Laptop - VGN-S3XP - how to clean the fan?

Options
  • 16-10-2007 12:05am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have the Sony Vaio VGN-S3XP laptop and it is heating up incredibley. This happened about a year ago so I took it to PC world and they cleaned the fan, which cooled the laptop down for a few months.

Now I want to clean it myself, however after taking all the screws out of the back I cannot see how to take the case off. I spent a good 30 mins fiddling with it and gave up, having to screw it back together again.

Anyone know how to get a the fan in one of these? I could just bring it to the PC World shop again, but want to do it myself as the warranty has expired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Here's a guide for opening a vaio, haven't looked closely at it, but may help
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=1124535

seems similar enough to opening a vaio z1 I have, have you got the keyboard off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

For a quick fix, get a can of compressed air and blow it through the vents.

It is a good idea to do a good thorough clean of the fan and heatsink like you plan on doing. Never mind the speed increase, overheating is like a bullet in a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Compressed Air +1
    Always does a good job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Majik, was it you that had an Inspiron 5150 with overheating probs before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I may have had one in to repair at some stage but I don't own one! I don't recall any that were overheating , had 5150's and 5160's with dead motherboards though, theres a court case against dell in the US because of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement