Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Maps vs. tomtom and route66

Options
  • 15-10-2007 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

just downloaded nokia maps onto my E65 and nokia maploader on the PC.. got ireland maps and italy maps downloaded(headin there soon). anyway, i dont have a GPS reciever yet and just downloaded to see what it was like and im impressed. one thing i like is i can calculate long routes without using motorways as im just learning to drive.I was just wondering why others have paid money for tomtom and route66?? is there a stability issue/update issue with the nokia maps?

also, has anyone suscribed to the nokiamaps voice navigation. when i went to suscribe just to see the cost it gave me a free three day trial... i guess ill find out in three days.

any opinions/recommendations on 3rd party software appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 digitalsnap

Hello. I have a N95 and have tried the following and these are my quick opinions (all using internal gps):

Nokia Maps
    Pros:
    - Good map display and points of interest
    - Easy and free updates to maps
    - Subscription-based navigation may be more cost effective
    Cons:
    - I didn't find the display when driving as clear as the others.
    - Sometimes routing seemed to take a long time to compute and often returned no route or very strange ones. This may be fixed in the latest version, I haven't used it enough to find out.

Navicore
    Pros:
    - Map scrolling is extremely fast.
    - Has free traffic info in countries that support it.
    Cons:
    - Extremely poor map coverage which made it unusable.
    - Have to zoom in too far before street names appear.
    - Voice intructions are too late.

Navigon
    Pros:
    - Excellent map display
    - Appear to be the most up to date maps
    - Good 2d/3d display and next turn indicators
    - Voice instructions are clear and given at good distances (and very polite)
    Cons:
    - No multi-point route planning (Navicore has this)
    - Cannot navigate to a point on the map (major downside, both Nokia and Navicore have this)
    - Cannot add custom points of interest

I now use Navigon and find it the best so far. I haven't used Nokia Maps since I bought it. I may give the Nokia software another try since I haven't really tried the latest version. I found Navicore completely unusable.

Although internal-gps specific, check this thread for more input on Symbian options: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64188

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

excellent, thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Used Nokia Naps or smart2go in both italy and usa found them to be very accurate and much better value then tomtom or route 66. My total navigation costs for this years holidays was 16 euro's 1 week in italy and 2 weeks in the states. Used bluetooth gps and HTC TYTN very stable.

Advertisement