Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing my best here :)

Options
  • 15-10-2007 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Base Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 Processor (2.2GHz,800MHz,4MB L2 cache)
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
    Enhanced Service Packs Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support
    LCD 17.0" Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT Display
    Colour Choice Matte Jet Black without Camera
    Memory 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    Hard Drive 160GB (7200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    Video Card 256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT
    Optical Devices Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
    Primary Battery Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)
    Modem 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter - Ireland/Spain
    Mouse Dell™ Optical Scroll Premium USB Mouse
    Wireless Networking Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-Card - Europe
    Wireless Access Point and Base Routers Not included
    USB Memory Keys Lexar 2GB JumpDrive FireFly Memory Key
    Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English

1244.56 euros..

I am just about to purchase this system from dell for editing video work.

What do you think and any ideas??

I have picked a faster processor and faster HDD for the reason of speed (video)

DO you think Vista business is ok ? I never heard of it LOL
    the jumpdrive is to help the system out as well..

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ditch the memory key. I don't think ready boost helps if you have 2GBs of ram. You might want to take a look at the dell outlet store. There are some bargains in there.

http://www.dell.ie/outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Ditch the memory key. I don't think ready boost helps if you have 2GBs of ram.

Correct, @2 gigs you wont see any benefit.

You'd see a bigger jump in performace by going up to 4gb over the faster HD. Not sure how much you're paying to go from 5400 to 7200, but the ram is defo the way to go (that said, dont get the extra ram off dell!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Cheers almightycushion

Linoge the jump to 7200 is costing 133 euros... that simply to swap a 160gb drive for a faster 160gb drive

the ram from dell is mad money :)

truly mad money :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's a piss take. To buy this 160GB 7200rpm drive off komplett it's only €135. So if you really want to upgrade to a 7200rpm drive buy this one off komplett and sell the one that comes with the laptop on adverts. That should save you a few bob. I'd stick with the 5400rpm drive, I don't really notice the difference on my laptop compared to my desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Does it really need to be a 17". Ive had one and thought it was just too big. Its fine if its going from desk to desk I guess but you should be able to get similar spec in a smaller form factor for the same/cheaper and you could just get a 17" crt (prob for free, no one seems to want them anymore...) to use at your desk(s) if you need the bigger screen size. Just an idea.

• Advertisement

You'd be able to get that spec in a vostro 1500. This has a 15.4" screen so if you want to go smaller it is an option. You could also get a similar spec in the vostro 1400 range, I think you may have to drop the graphics card down to a 8400 though. But if you are not into gaming then this shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Boomstick the 17in is in no way a deal breaker for me

You'd be able to get that spec in a vostro 1500. This has a 15.4" screen so if you want to go smaller it is an option. You could also get a similar spec in the vostro 1400 range, I think you may have to drop the graphics card down to a 8400 though. But if you are not into gaming then this shouldn't be a problem.

going to take a look and cheers... is it just me or does the dell site make your head spin with all the options :)

games are not my thing, like to do a bit of video editing ! not sur eif the card would be an issue ?

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Boomstick the 17in is in no way a deal breaker for me

going to take a look and cheers... is it just me or does the dell sight make your head spin with all the options :)

games are not my thing, like to do a bit of video editing ! not sur eif the card would be an issue ?

I'm pretty sure with video editing it's all in the cpu. As for the dell site , stick to the vostros and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I'm pretty sure with video editing it's all in the cpu.

ITs the memory that is hit big time.

And as Almighty was saying, you won't notice any difference with the faster HD to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

i wud get a macbook its a little bit cheaper

or u cud get a macbook pro , for a little bit more money

well worth it , sepcially since u will be using it ofr editing

• Advertisement
Advertisement