Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third level institutions librarys computer facilities.

Options
  • 15-10-2007 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

everytime i go into the library in campus around 11.00 11.30, it is basically impossible to get a computer, i was just wondering is this the same in every campus, and isnt this really annoying?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's the same in Sligo IT, for most of the day there is a massive queue for the computers. Unfortunately the only solution is to either go in at a later time (e.g. after around 5pm) or buy a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

thats pathetic, youd think they would use demand vs supply and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The problem is supply. It costs money to supply more computers. So that must be taken from something else or raised. Higher taxes or more fees are ways to raise more money.

Or you could just spend the higher taxes or more fees on a laptop for yourself.

Ibid wrote: »
    The problem is supply. It costs money to supply more computers. So that must be taken from something else or raised. Higher taxes or more fees are ways to raise more money.

Or you could just spend the higher taxes or more fees on a laptop for yourself.

dont understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I never had a problem at North West Regional College (formerly NWIFHE) in Derry. Plenty of computers in there and a few macs. :eek:

• Advertisement

smashey wrote: »
    I never had a problem at North West Regional College (formerly NWIFHE) in Derry. Plenty of computers in there and a few macs. :eek:

a few of my friends are going here this year, thats what they were telling me, were from donegal and if they ever want to go to do some work, they can go to the north west regional college, anytime of the day and are basically guaranteed to get a computer

thats great, so why can this not be the same for everywhere else,.

doesnt it really annoy you, whenever the library is packed and your looking for a computer and you want to do work and you see people on bebo on the computers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It can be difficult to get a computer in the libraries in Queen's aswell, particularly the Seamus Heaney library but I find that the computers in the office of whatever school your in (i.e. school of management) are more often than not available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Newry Campus has hundreds!! of computers. Iv never so many computers in such a small building. Never have a problem getting onto a pc, even at peak times. I hear the library is actually spanking new, was an addition about 2 years ago so its well kitted out.

Newry Campus has hundreds!! of computers. Iv never so many computers in such a small building. Never have a problem getting onto a pc, even at peak times. I hear the library is actually spanking new, was an addition about 2 years ago so its well kitted out.

thats cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Library in Magee used to be ok but when was busy and couldnt get one there was a good possibility of getting ones over in the other buildin (MF think it was)

i suspose thats a good thing about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

Queens has a decent number of computers, but general facilities in which they are housed are bellow standard. They are not conducive to study and poor in terms of layout. TCD's new usher library (i believe) has raised the bar in terms of what a library can and should achieve. If in the case that computer labs are full however, it's useful to remember that they provide a number of personal laptops over the library counter..

Advertisement