Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Fault.

Options
  • 15-10-2007 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a car in the UK and in the last 3 months since I've had it, the paint has slowly been peeling off the front bumper which would indicate that the front bumper was very recently resprayed (very badly) just before I purchased the car.

I am just wondering what kind of stance I have on this?. I've emailed the garage with pictures and haven't had any response from them. It's not a huge job to get it resprayed at about a cost of €200 though I shouldn't have to pay this...

Has anyone had any similar instances??.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

to be honsest, if the front bumper was resprayed .. it could well have been in a crash previously.

Did you do a HPI check on the car before buying? http://www.hpi.co.uk

at the moment I think some UK dealers are laughing to themselves at the number of Irish coming over and buying CAT d and c write offs without doing proper checks.

Driving home, thinking they got a bargain until they get the first service done in Ireland and then the true extent of what they bought comes to light.

If I were you I would get a full engineers report on the car and then contact the garage with all the info that you have. It will be a bit trickier as they are in the UK but make sure you have all possible info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Hey Whippet,

I did a full HPI check on the car prior to purchase alright, no
    problems there. Its still under BMW warranty till 2008 also. The
    car is immaculate really. Its just the front bumper seems to have
    specs of white coming up all over...kinda like dandruff....

Its quite possible that it could be stone chips on Irish roads or
    some sort of chemical reaction to a car wash?.

Just wondering if I went to a solicitor would it do any good?. Is there
    anything they can do?. Do I need to use a UK solicitor?.

If it is still under warranty I assume it would a 06 model.

Flaking paint work would send alarm bells ringing in my head, especially on a newish BMW. If it wasn't written off previously, it could still have had a hefty enough smack and this wouldn't show up on the HPI check.

I really don't think the flakes could be from everyday chemicals that the car may come in contact with. To be honest and for fear of sounding like a doomsdayer, get a engineer to have a look at it and see if there is any other crash damage, as this will be a different situation to just looking for compo for flaky paint.

Again, I am not trying to be negative, but I would worry about the presense of flaky paint on a newish motor !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Point taken Whippet, thanks for that....
    I will book it in somewhere to get it looked at.

Nothings ever easy when it comes to cars!!.

Feelgood wrote: »
    Point taken Whippet, thanks for that....
    I will book it in somewhere to get it looked at.

Nothings ever easy when it comes to cars!!.

best of luck with it, hopefully it was just damage from a stray shopping trolly !!

Cars are never easy .. but get the right one and it will but a smile on your face !!!! just like a good lady!

• Advertisement
Advertisement