Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing compassion in society

Options
  • 15-10-2007 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm not sure this is the only place to ask this question, but... I have a feeling people here would be able to answer.

Is it possible to increase compassion in society, but only by talking or writing? I imagine if everyone meditated it would be possible, but a lot of people would never take the time to do anything like that.

Thanks for any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

karen3212 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm not sure this is the only place to ask this question, but... I have a feeling people here would be able to answer.

Is it possible to increase compassion in society, but only by talking or writing? I imagine if everyone meditated it would be possible, but a lot of people would never take the time to do anything like that.

Thanks for any thoughts
    Indeed, yes. It is very possible to increase compassion in society by talking or writing. The Dalai Lama is a good example of this from a Buddhist perspective; there are many other non-Buddhists who have also effected change. This also applies to anyone who takes the time and effort to talk or write. Buddhism teaches action. To effect change, one has to act. Even a tiny action has some impact, quite often the tiny action can lead to world-changing consequences. I think that the meditating aspect here should be viewed as a tool for self growth and understanding. Since meditating takes many forms, or should I say Focuses, I would not agree that if everyone meditated everything would be ok. At the end of the day, action is required. Good intentions are fine, but they are just that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi,

Thanks for any thoughts

Well it depends on the kind of meditation really. I do think that if people spent more time relaxing and doing the practice of awareness of everything they do throughout the day, and why they do it, things would be a lot better off. But doing your 20mins etc of breathing in the morning and then forgetting it and going about the rest of the day as normal wouldn't be much good.

But every little helps, imo. Even just leading by example in any social setting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I find it useful to think why I say the things I say. What kind of reaction am I trying to rouse in other people? Or what is my intention, as some may say. Laughter, insight, or whatever a situation asks of me.
    So this works on the individual who may then go on to intend to awaken compassion in others.

Good luck.
    AD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Yeah, but how would you - if you agree that it's a good thing to increase compassion in society - make people on boards.ie more compassionate. What kind of things could you say or write. I mean if you write about a hungry child etc. you will get people rolling their eyes talking about taxes and the responsibility of parents. How would you counter that? Thanks for other replies by the way.

Karen 3212 wrote:
    Yeah, but how would you - if you agree that it's a good thing to increase compassion in society - make people on boards.ie more compassionate.

Wow, that’s a million dollar question. I think Bluewolf said it best

But every little helps, imo. Even just leading by example in any social setting etc

Karen 3212 wrote:
    What kind of things could you say or write. I mean if you write about a hungry child etc. you will get people rolling their eyes talking about taxes and the responsibility of parents. How would you counter that?

You will always get people rolling their eyes. That’s life. What is important is that you took the time to write. That is the good action. Some people will be moved by this action, some will not. The point is you tried, feel good about that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

karen3212 wrote:
    Yeah, but how would you make people on boards.ie more compassionate.

You can't make them be more compassionate.
    Don't look at them as less than nice people that you have to bludgeon your point into (though sometimes it may be tempting), or flip the compassion switch. They're responsible for their own feelings.
    So. Increase your own compassion for them, and anyone else, and demonstrate it. Just subtly. Try to understand where they are coming from.
    Some people will pick up on this and some will not.

Also, what reactions are you looking for when you post about problems the world has? Perhaps people have previously discussed it and decided they couldn't do anything. Or they think yes it's very bad but I can't do anything so what's the point talking about it.
    Maybe you could consider them less in how they relate to you and more about them on their own.
    Apologies if I have inferred too much in this part.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Apologies if I have inferred too much in this part.
    That was a wonderfully insightful post My compliments Bluewolf.:)

Yes, I understand what you guys mean. Thanks for that. I think I was getting carried away with myself, I thought there might be some kind of strategy for increasing compassion in people via saying or writing. For example one of my favourite sayings is There but for the grace of God go I. Now I don't believe in a God, but everytime I see someone write that on boards, I always feel more compassion for the unfortunate person being discussed, and it spurs me on to continue to act to alleviate the suffering of other people. It's stories or teachings or words like that I suppose I'm looking for. Thanks I hear and understand what ye have said, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

I think it can only come down to balancing out the negativity by being compassionate as possible in the way we live our personal lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

by karen3213 - Yes, I understand what you guys mean. Thanks for that. I think I was getting carried away with myself, I thought there might be some kind of strategy for increasing compassion in people via saying or writing.

There is, of course. Certainly the Dalai Lama uses words and writing successfully. If you have the passion and gift of words, or any other talents, if you use them in the service of making the world a more compassionate place, it will be good and wonderful.

In order to have your efforts be effective, you do have to follow the previous advice. In other words, be more concerned with your own level of compassion, and actually notice all the compassion in the world that already exists. That way you will inspire compassion, rather than criticize and fight against non-compassion, which often turns out to be counter-productive.

I look forward to all you have to say here in our little Buddhist corner of Boards :)

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll have to do some reading. I've seen the links to the recommended books, so I'll probably start there. By the way, it would be great if there was a thread on your favourite teachings/sayings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

By the way, it would be great if there was a thread on your favourite teachings/sayings.

Try this:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054913474

maitri wrote: »

Woo, thank you. That's great.

Advertisement