Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a platerer and groundworks tradesmen

Options
  • 14-10-2007 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

hello all
    i live in Carrigart in Donegal, im pretty new to the area and have had a garage built and its ready for plastering, i had to get rid of the contractor because his prices were astronomical, so im trying to source tradesmen myself and its turning out to be a nightmare, does anyone know a plasterer in the area thats skilled in exterior dashing and thats relatively cheap? labour only pricing seems to be the norm in donegal and your left to buy all supplies
    After the plastering i will need a concrete base, drainage, footpath, and some digging work done etc, hopefully somebody will come to the rescue
    thanks for any help and advice in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭muffler

First of all welcome to the forum and hopefully you will enjoy.

Im not sure if you will get many recommendations here but you never know. Best advice I can give is to talk to some of the friends and neighbours and perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Cocobells

Hi thanks for the warm welcome, unfortunately i don't have any friends in Donegal nor neighbours, i live in the middle of a field :D only up here 3 weeks now and haven't spoken to any locals in the area. ive rang several plasterers who were listed in the yellow pages and the dealer and they've all said they would be out on a certain day and time and never arrive, ive rang them back and they said the same again and they never showed up, one guy came out but he was only around 17 years old and very immature so im afraid to give him the work in case he made a balls of it :rolleyes:. ill keep plugging but its becoming very frustrating. Im originally from Dublin where its so easy to get a tradesmen, they might charge you an arm & a leg but at least they want the business. ill just have to get used to the Donegal culture i suppose, hopefully someone might know
    thanks guys

Yes that is indeed a fairly normal occurance here. When you ring any of these guys you need to be firm and ask them first of all if they are interested in giving a quote otherwise they are only wasting your time and theirs. Agree a date and time and make it plain to them that if they dont show up at the agreed time then they can forget about it.

Pop into the local pub for a drink at the weekend and bring it up in conversation and someone might be able to help - kill 2 birds with the one stone as they say ;) Only problem is that you wont know the standard of someone who is being recommended to you.

You could also just drive around and look out for plasters at other houses in the general area or you could pop into one of the local architects or even estate agents and ask there. Hope this helps.

PS if smashey sees this he may get you a bit of info from his workplace - in fact I'll PM him now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

muffler wrote: »
    PS if smashey sees this he may get you a bit of info from his workplace - in fact I'll PM him now
    I'm working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

muffler wrote: »

smashey wrote: »
    I'm working on it.

If a reference to Muffysmash Construction appears here I will be really pee'd off.

• Advertisement

nanook wrote: »
    If a reference to Muffysmash Construction appears here I will be really pee'd off.
    Nice one :D:D

smashey wrote: »

hah

This shows the cowboys they are, if cant get the website to work, what chance do you have getting them to work.

Let me guess the web site is Under Construction

nanook wrote: »
    hah

This shows the cowboys they are, if cant get the website to work, what chance do you have getting them to work.

Let me guess the web site is Under Construction
    Apologies. Try this. :p
    www.muffysmashconst.ie

This thread would be quite appropriate - smashey is normally smashed anyhow and talking about being plastered....:D

Seriously though I have confidence in smashey getting back to the OP with a couple of names.

• Advertisement

back to the opening question

I think this might help, found this link on another regional forum

www.mylocaltown.ie

lists services and useful information for your area, it is not the most up to date but it may help

Advertisement