Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connell St (Dublin) southbound

Options
  • 14-10-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Hi - anyone know why they've put in a separate cycle lane on the last block of O'Connell St as you're heading south? They've moved the 4/7/8 bus stop to O'Connell Bridge to accommodate it. Is it to be a permanent fixture?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yakuza wrote: »
    Hi - anyone know why they've put in a separate cycle lane on the last block of O'Connell St as you're heading south? They've moved the 4/7/8 bus stop to O'Connell Bridge to accommodate it. Is it to be a permanent fixture?
    Hopefully not because it's bloody awful looking I think. They should demarcate the lane using a second kerb a la Amsterdam's Damrak etc.

They're complaining about it over on Archiseek, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

spacetweek wrote: »
    Hopefully not because it's bloody awful looking I think. They should demarcate the lane using a second kerb a la Amsterdam's Damrak etc.

DCC do little enough for cyclists without complaining that the aesthetics aren't great. A second kerb would be nice but who cares, it does exactly what it says on the tin. The only problem is that it isn't long enough but without moving it to the median. Let them build a decent cycle network in the city centre and then worry about making it look nice later on. Function over form and all that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

In my opinion it was a waste of time and effort. Anytime I see cyclists on that portion of O'Connell Street they're STILL playing kamikaze by ducking and diving with other vehicular traffic on the regular lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

I cycle that way every morning and I've never seen anyone go round it. I won't dispute you though :) If cyclists are doing it, I'm guessing it's because the lane is too narrow to let them get ahead of the traffic when the lights change. It's not a fault of the lane per se, but the way the traffic lanes change ahead. If you stay in the left lane, you get stuck behind a bus stopping on the bridge. Then you have to change lanes twice to avoid the end of the lane at the other side of the bridge and the queue of buses parked on Dolier Street. If you can get to the head of the queue, you have a fighting chance of changing lane quickly enough to avoid some of that.

To be honest, it's better than nothing but a properly provisioned cycle lane running along the median from Parnell Sq E all the way to College Green / College Street would be more useful. It wouldn't be easy to do and would involve a lot of driver, cyclist and pedestrian education so it'll probably never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Although not a cyclist myself (I was years ago until my knee joints became ropey!) I absolutely and fully support any initiative given to cyclists. A properly commissioned city-wide cycle network must be a priority.

The recent improvements to the North Quays bus lanes must have given cyclists some relief, but why do we seem to be stopping there? A similar project along the South Quays would be another major improvement, along with the banning of private cars from O'Connell Street during daytime.

Again, fairly radical intiatives which means we probably won't see the likes of it for about 20 years. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I only cycle that way the odd time but I avoid that cycle lane because I'm worried that if one of those poles clipped my handlebars I'd fall to the right, underneath the moving traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

John_C wrote: »
    I only cycle that way the odd time but I avoid that cycle lane because I'm worried that if one of those poles clipped my handlebars I'd fall to the right, underneath the moving traffic.
    Its on a spring, it will simply move out of your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Ive seen the eco cab things getting caught and they spring back up with a some power.

Victor wrote: »
    Its on a spring, it will simply move out of your way.
    Fair enough, how springy is it? It doesn't take much to turn a bike.
    I think I'll take my chances in the next lane over all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But the next lane over has them on the left side.

The lane is 1.5m wide, I don't think there is any risk of hitting them in normal, sober cycling.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    But the next lane over has them on the left side.
    True but if I hit one on the left I'll fall into a cycle lane instead of a lane of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Yakuza wrote: »
    Looking at the photograph published on Arhciseek, I can say that' that's an unlawful cycle track. Totally does not conform to the relevant statutes.

The statutes have been in existance for 10 years, you'd think by now the city council would know the correct signs and road markings.

Advertisement