Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion Wanted On This Dell PC

Options
  • 14-10-2007 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a new PC and was thinking about a Dell Inspirion 531, I can get this for €1150 or for €700 without the monitor. Its expensive for a monitor but its a 24" with good resolution and input connections. What do you lads think? Its 5 years since I bought a new PC so don't know much about dual core etc and any help is appreciated

Base AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    Memory 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    Keyboard Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Monitor Dell™ 24" UltraSharp™ Wide Aspect Digital/Analogue Flat Panel (2407FPW) - UK/Irish
    Video Card 256MB nVidia™ GeForce 8600GT graphics card
    Hard Drive 320GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst™ cache
    Floppy Drives and Additional Storage Devices 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Mouse Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse
    Modem No Modem
    Optical Devices 16x DVD +/- RW Drive
    Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel High Definition Audio
    Speakers No Speakers
    Standard Warranty 1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
    TV Tuner and Remote Control Integrated Hybrid (Analogue/Digital) TV tuner PCIe x1 card and Dell™ remote control

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Cucullan wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a new PC and was thinking about a Dell Inspirion 531, I can get this for €1150 or for €700 without the monitor. Its expensive for a monitor but its a 24" with good resolution and input connections. What do you lads think? Its 5 years since I bought a new PC so don't know much about dual core etc and any help is appreciated

Base AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    Memory 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    Keyboard Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Monitor Dell™ 24" UltraSharp™ Wide Aspect Digital/Analogue Flat Panel (2407FPW) - UK/Irish
    Video Card 256MB nVidia™ GeForce 8600GT graphics card
    Hard Drive 320GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst™ cache
    Floppy Drives and Additional Storage Devices 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Mouse Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse
    Modem No Modem
    Optical Devices 16x DVD +/- RW Drive
    Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel High Definition Audio
    Speakers No Speakers
    Standard Warranty 1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
    TV Tuner and Remote Control Integrated Hybrid (Analogue/Digital) TV tuner PCIe x1 card and Dell™ remote control

What are you buying it for? I.E Gaming or just home use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Looks like a decent PC, waste of money if your only going to be browsing the net and using it as a home PC though.

If you use a lot of high end software/game and need a lot of storage then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

I mainly use my PC for the net, watch films, Photo Shop and Word. I do a good bit of multi tasking like maybe using word, listening to music and be messing in Photo shop and everything can be painfully slow on my PC at the moment. Is Vista as bad as a lot of people are saying? Surely its the OS to buy for future proofing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

IMO get XP! I dont have Vista but have used other peoples machines with Vista and lets just say it is not for me... No thank you!

Advertisement