Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Board Game Night?

Options
  • 14-10-2007 6:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

I'm new to Galway. Any pubs have like standard game nights or anything? Light strategy - ie Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Illumaniti, et al would be ideal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I've never heard of any of those you've mentioned before...I don't recall ever seeing them being advertised for game nights around Galway either but I might be wrong...what are those type of games?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Best bet it to talk to FanSci in NUI,G. They appear to be the most prominent exponents of the tinfoil axe and hundred sided dice in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Settlers and Carcassonne are light strategy board games, both German I believe. On par with something like Risk, though much quicker games to play (ie a couple hours at most). Scrabble or similar is fine with me too, I'm just not terribly good at it. Really not looking for role playing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

NUIG FanSci FI had Carcassone along with a lot of other games of that ilk.

My warning: I went along thinking it would be fairly lighthearted. They were too intense and hardcore for me to think of going again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Munchkin.

• Advertisement

Munchkin is def good stuff. Steve Jackson makes some very fun games.

Not getting sold on the FanSci group here ;) Also not a student.

Maybe I'll just go to a pub and set up a game on a table and see how I fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Visit here http://www.gamersrealm.ie/. Although could be due to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sunshine2007

the board games are nice... or at least I like them... if you find something let me know. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

tristanc wrote: »

Quite a few people in FanSci aren't students. *raises eyebrow* What's wrong with the group?

There aren't games nights in Gamers' Realm - the store closes at 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jigsaw07

what ever happended to playing more logically challengeing games like connect four or ker plunk or somethin!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Vagrant

Best not critise Fansci within earshot of Fozzle. They can be a little 'intense', but if you're looking for a good night of boardgaming they can't be beat. PM me if you decide to go, Wednesday nights 6.30-10pm, and I'll see if I can get players.

Vagrant wrote: »
    Best not critise Fansci within earshot of Fozzle. They can be a little 'intense', but if you're looking for a good night of boardgaming they can't be beat. PM me if you decide to go, Wednesday nights 6.30-10pm, and I'll see if I can get players.

:p It was a valid question! Most of the high-pitched screaming girls are gone from Galway now, and they (we) would have been a good reason to object to fansci - to be fair, some people just don't like that level of giddiness. But if there really is something about fansci that scares off potential gamers I think it would be good to know so it can be improved. I thought (hoped) the bad old days of people being afraid to join the society were over.

Hmm, I may be a bit confused, since where I've been living, if I brought Settlers et al to a RPG/LARP/Gaming society, it would be akin to showing up to a rugby match and asking if anyone wanted to throw a Frisbee around.

So FanSci encompasses more casual board gaming as well? I'm really not very competitive or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Vagrant

Yeah, there are a lot of people that love to play casual games at FanSci, myself included.

Hmm, I may be a bit confused, since where I've been living, if I brought Settlers et al to a RPG/LARP/Gaming society, it would be akin to showing up to a rugby match and asking if anyone wanted to throw a Frisbee around.

So FanSci encompasses more casual board gaming as well? I'm really not very competitive or anything.

Absolutely. there are members who do little but board gaming. There's also lots of things like Munchin and Chez Geek and other far from serious games. Just bring along any game you want to play, or see what the committee drag along, you'll almost always get someone to play almost anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah, I played settlers et al a good few times there, before I stopped going.

Cool. Well then I'll def check FanSci out. I'm aiming to make it this eve, though I'm pretty drained at this point day, so I might not be functional enough today. I'll see in about 5 hours.

Cool. Well then I'll def check FanSci out. I'm aiming to make it this eve, though I'm pretty drained at this point day, so I might not be functional enough today. I'll see in about 5 hours.

Yeah, I managed to sleep right through it. I'm guessing not much will go on next week (Halloween and all), so I'll def check it out on the 7th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Plenty going on next week, actually. It'll be business as usual 6-9ishpm, then off to Monroe's back room for a horror pub quiz and other shenanigans. Based on the success of the last time, we'll be organising some LAN gaming again soon as well.

We have a few other interesting things in the works for the near future too, feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You should do that, how about sally longs at about 9pm Friday night?

• Advertisement

Finally made it to FanSci game night, and enjoyed - will def be back.

Sally Longs is good stuff - game might play well there. Don't know about the weekend tho (I'll be working Friday night for the next month, so that'd be out regardless).

Advertisement