Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Ipod O/O/O

Options
  • 13-10-2007 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

I have a 20 GB Ipod. It has suddenly stopped working properly. It sounds like the Harddrive is sticking, it clicks about every 3 seconds. When I connect it to my PC , itunes freezes, only to work again when the ipod is disconnected

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

if it's still under warranty return it. it happened to me , it sounds like the hard drive is F**ked.

did you drop it?
    if you did, don't tell apple:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that clicking noise is related to the magnetic heads inside the hard drive becoming stuck.

i had the same problem with a hard drive of my brother's which had very important information on it and he had to pay top dollar (€600) to get the data pulled off the disk.

AFAIK there's no cure and since it'd be cheaper to buy a new ipod i would try claiming off the warranty, if that's out of date, you could look into getting the ipod repaired, unfortualately these days with most mobile technology it's often more viable to buy new than fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

if its a 20gb ipod, cant imagine it to be still in warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GBX wrote: »
    if its a 20gb ipod, cant imagine it to be still in warranty
    sorry i skipped over that bit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

this happened to my old 20GB 3G iPod so i bought a new one, but the other day i decided to crack open the old one to see what they look like on the inside. Anyway after opening and closing it, i plugged it in and it works perfectly again (pity i bought a new one 2 years ago and a Touch the other day!!). You might wanna give it a shot if your gonna have to buy a new one anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

amull87 wrote: »
    this happened to my old 20GB 3G iPod so i bought a new one, but the other day i decided to crack open the old one to see what they look like on the inside. Anyway after opening and closing it, i plugged it in and it works perfectly again (pity i bought a new one 2 years ago and a Touch the other day!!). You might wanna give it a shot if your gonna have to buy a new one anyway!

How do you do it? My 20GB just died after two years noble service, which seems to be about average. I'm going to new york and figured I'd pick up a new one while the exchange rate is so good, but am still in mourning for the old one. I'm willing to give it a shot. Your advice welcome...

just get a thin piece of plastic (guitar pick seems to be common but i used a screwdriver) and just start pushing it into the top of it by the headphones jack, separating the plastic, keep doing it all the way round until it unclips altogether. Dust it off and clip it back in. Not saying that this will work but it might be worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Anyone ever use this crowd:
    http://www.ipodrepairs.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I just opened mine disconnected and then reconnected the Harddrive. Now its working perfectly :confused:

I just opened mine disconnected and then reconnected the Harddrive. Now its working perfectly :confused:

ha, yeah it seems really weird. It must just need to be cleaned or something. Think of how much money apple must be making off repairs like this. Take it apart.......put it back together........€50 please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

this may seem strange but i was told by a taxi driver how to solve u problem...wallop the ipod against a hard object it worked for my 40gb ipod:)i am been serious no point sending it off to get repaired it will cost u too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I know its ages since this thread started, but wanted to let you know that I did it, and it worked perfectly! Hwever, I had already gone to NY, picked up a new 80GB 'classic', came home - did the tinkering while my new iPod was syncing and hey presto! So now my son has iherited my 'old' iPod. Thanks for the tip.;)

good to know it's working for people. Maybe i should set up an iPod "repair" business!!!!

Advertisement