Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get your honorary degree here!!

Options
  • 13-10-2007 4:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭

Honorary degrees:

What is it with these things? Anytime I see or hear of someone being awarded/accepting one it grinds my gears.

I just don't understand it. IMO, It makes a mockery of the people who have studied for 5 or 6 years, gone to lectures,
    handed in essays/papers, completed a thesis, passed exams, and all the other things students are meant to be doing when they aren't scrounging off society.

And then you see some person who is famous/created a website/runs a successful business/invented something/saved a puppy
    from a burning building/etc standing up on stage, dressed to the nines in their robes and mortarboard cap clutching a scroll
    with a little ribbon tied around it, grinning moronically like the big moron that they are, and waving to the masses and talking
    about how honoured they are to be given some mickey mouse edition of a real degree.

Is it all just done for financial gain?

Donate -$x- amount to the College/Facility and we will give you a day out and massage your ego, happy finish optional.

(and with all that said, I haven't got a degree, so that's not why it puzzles me.)

Honorary degrees: What say ye? 12 votes

Honorary degrees - Great craic - lovely hurlin'!
    0%
    Honorary degrees- Ridiculous carry on - cut that out ffs
    41%
    Stephensunny2004bonelesscountyFlutterinBantam 5 votes
    I'd only accept a Doctorate in Atari Jaguarism
    58%
    snickerpussNightwishaidan24326dotsmanJesus WeptburnedfacemanHAPPYGIRL 7 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What's the point? They are missing the best thing about getting a degree, the drunken debauchery that led to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Honorary degrees- Ridiculous carry on - cut that out ffs
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    Honorary degrees:

What is it with these things? Anytime I see or hear of someone being awarded/accepting one it grinds my gears.

I just don't understand it. IMO, It makes a mockery of the people who have studied for 5 or 6 years, gone to lectures,
    handed in essays/papers, completed a thesis, passed exams, and all the other things students are meant to be doing when they aren't scrounging off society.

And then you see some person who is famous/created a website/runs a successful business/invented something/saved a puppy
    from a burning building/etc standing up on stage, dressed to the nines in their robes and mortarboard cap clutching a scroll
    with a little ribbon tied around it, grinning moronically like the big moron that they are, and waving to the masses and talking
    about how honoured they are to be given some mickey mouse edition of a real degree.

Is it all just done for financial gain?

Donate -$x- amount to the College/Facility and we will give you a day out and massage your ego, happy finish optional.

(and with all that said, I haven't got a degree, so that's not why it puzzles me.)

Ah Rigser me auld flower,you have fallen into that age old trap of believing that education can only be imparted through, as you say five, years study etc
    Trust me when I say that 5 years in college is not the be all and end all of everything.
    A degree is a formal acknowledgement that you have completed a certain course.It required a certain degree of knowledge and intelligence,and skill.

Now take the late Dr Tony Ryan for example.
    Do you think that what he achieved is not as worthy as some dude who produces a thesis on molecular physics??

I certainly think he is as worthy- the only difference is that one went the formal route and one didn't .

I think you are mixing this up with Assbum Universities in the States where for a fee you can pay for a (worthless) degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'd only accept a Doctorate in Atari Jaguarism
    I take your point Mr Bantam, your point is one I had considered.

It would just make more sense to me if they perhaps gave them something to acknowledge their success such as an award etc, as opposed to picking some random degree given out for completing said college course and bestowing it upon them.

Advertisement