Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dixons Laptop Woes

Options
  • 13-10-2007 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

Bought a laptop from Dixons on the 19th of September, 2006. About a week ago
    I start to have problems so I rang the Pc Services crowd on the 8th of October,
    luckily I had the coverplan so I was covered. Pc services said the laptop would
    be booked in with a company called Teleplan

I was informed that teleplan would ring me to arrange a date for pickup. 2 days later, I receive no call. I rang pc services again and they informed me that the booking never took place, they did however book it again.

Teleplan did ring and it was arranged that a courier would collect it from my house yesterday. I waited and waited, only to find that the courier never showed up. I was very annoyed at this stage, it seemed a complete joke.

I rang Pc services today and was told it was out of there hands and teleplan would deal with the issue. I was then told that teleplan would contact me in a few hours to arrange a new pickup time. Teleplan never rang

I am really pissed off now. The question is, am I entitled to a replacement. It also pisses me off that the laptop broke only a few days after the manufacturers warranty ran out. Seems a bit convenient, no? I have the extended guartantee and surely this should entitle me to a replacement. I'll be happy for this laptop to be repaired but I'm a week without a laptop so far and it hasn't even been looked at by anyone

Please advise:(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

swingking wrote: »
    The question is, am I entitled to a replacement.
    No.
    Seems a bit convenient, no?
    To hard to set up in practice. Closest you would come would be the Ford calculation of replacement for faulty parts costs X, if we're sued by Y % and they win it will cost us Z which is less then X, hence we're not fixing a faulty part. Laptops are simply a bad idea in general for most people (unless you go for a proper military style set up of them).
    I have the extended guartantee and surely this should entitle me to a replacement.
    Most likely not.
    I'll be happy for this laptop to be repaired but I'm a week without a laptop so far and it hasn't even been looked at by anyone
    Why I always recommend a stationary so a tech friend can rip it apart and put it back together in an hour and have it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Okay I spoke to the guys and agreed for the machine to be collected by a courier

It's been 13 days since the problem was reported and after 3 failed courier collection attempts to collect the laptop, it's starting to get ridiculous

Can anyone advise how I might take this case further

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Okay I spoke to the guys and agreed for the machine to be collected by a courier

It's been 13 days since the problem was reported and after 3 failed courier collection attempts to collect the laptop, it's starting to get ridiculous

Can anyone advise how I might take this case further

What exactly are the terms and conditions of the cover plan? Does it state the min/max length of time to get an issue resolved?

You might want to try contacting the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs. Not sure what they can do for you, but even just mentioning it next time you talk to Dixons might make the escalate the issue.

I know it's a bit late to mention it now, but I wouldn't dream for a second about buying a laptop/desktop etc in Dixons/PC World. Seem very overpriced to me and I only ever seem to hear bad stories about them (including form their own staff!) I'm sure there's a few threads on here regarding...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

AFAIK the coverplan entitles you to a replacement if the item is not repaired within 60 days. But you should check up on that as the T & Cs might vary from product to product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 redrasta

The question is, am I entitled to a replacement. It also pisses me off that the laptop broke only a few days after the manufacturers warranty ran out. Seems a bit convenient, no? I have the extended guartantee and surely this should entitle me to a replacement.
    Please advise:(

Best advice USE YOUR HEAD AND LOOK AT WHAT YOUR PAYING FOR WHEN YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT!!! Im sorry but buying an extended warrantee without knowing what it entitles you to is just silly. You might have just payed for extended technical support for all you kno.
    The biggest mistake you made was buying a Windows computer. They slow down very quickly, they get viruses, they take ages to even turn them on. You should invest in an apple mac. It will last you for years, it wont get viruses and its just easy to use(once you get out of the "windows" frame of mind) They're a bit more expensive but they're worth every penny.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

redrasta wrote: »
    Best advice USE YOUR HEAD AND LOOK AT WHAT YOUR PAYING FOR WHEN YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT!!! Im sorry but buying an extended warrantee without knowing what it entitles you to is just silly. You might have just payed for extended technical support for all you kno.
    The biggest mistake you made was buying a Windows computer. They slow down very quickly, they get viruses, they take ages to even turn them on. You should invest in an apple mac. It will last you for years, it wont get viruses and its just easy to use(once you get out of the "windows" frame of mind) They're a bit more expensive but they're worth every penny.

Please **** off.

don't feed the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

redrasta wrote: »

Because Apple Macs are made in the magic factory so that they can never break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

They have 60 days to repair your laptop as stated in your insurance details that you got when you purchased it, might be 30 days not too sure. If however they do not repair your laptop within the agreed time-frame, then you will recieve vouchers in the post to spend on anything else you want in Dixons, Pc World or Currys.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just out of curiousity- would this be a Toshiba laptop that you bought in there? I got a Toshiba M70 off them and the motherboard went after about a years use. I eventually managed to get Teleplan to collect it- but weeks later have gotten an e-mail to apologise for the delay as they have to order in their spare parts. I though they were part of Toshiba :(

s.

Here's the update:

I went back to the store where I bought the laptop and explained to them that there was 4 courier failures to collect the laptop to be repaired.

They understood my frustration and agreed for the laptop to be collected from them. In this way, I wasn't going out of my way to be there for the courier.

I rang dixons today who told me that due to an administrator fault, the laptop wouldn't be collected from them till next week.

According to my coverplan documentation, I am entitled to a replacement if the issue goes over 42 days. I've had this problem since the 2nd of October. If the issue is not resolved by the 13th of November, I'm entitled to a replacement.

I'm happy with this because I originally thought the 42 day rule would be only from the time they start to repair the laptop.

I'll keep you updated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Here's the update:

According to my coverplan documentation, I am entitled to a replacement if the issue goes over 42 days. I've had this problem since the 2nd of October. If the issue is not resolved by the 13th of November, I'm entitled to a replacement.

You said in an earlier post that you got in contact with Pc Services on the 8th of October. You have from 42 days from when your laptop was originally booked in for repair to the date you recieve it back repaired, or unrepaired which then you will recieve vouchers on the post to the value of your laptop.
    I'm happy with this because I originally thought the 42 day rule would be only from the time they start to repair the laptop.

As I said above, it starts from when the laptop is booked in for repair.

Sorry I meant I spoke to Pc services on the 2nd of October originally

I spoke to John from Coverplan who rang around to see what the situation was with the laptop.

I was informed that the laptop has not left Dixons store in Tallaght yet. I left the laptop into Dixons on the 17th. I was told that it would be collected from Dixons in a few days time and it would be sent to England to be fixed.

I am really pissed off that my laptop has been sitting in Dixons and it hasn't even been looked at.

DSG and Coverplan are a fckin disgrace. Their customer service is the worst I've ever seen. I've had this problem since the 2nd of October.

I plan to take this further and encourage anyone buying a laptop to avoid DSG at all costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Had you asked here about coverplan and / or dixons or currys you would have been told it is the most worthless and useless piece of crap, masquerading as insurance, of all time. You did not and now you are surprised .

Demand a new laptop today

I was contacted by coverplan today who informed me that they've written my laptop off and are sending out vouchers out to buy a new one.

If anyone has been in the same situation as myself, do you know how long these vouchers will take to arrive?

Advertisement