Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your (non) working day

Options
  • 12-10-2007 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Allow that you have a contracted 8 hour working day, how much of it do you actually spend working (for your employer), and where does the rest of it go?

I start at 9:00 and work to 9:30 before going on Boards for 20 minutes. I spend about 3 hours a day on the internet doing non work things - thankfully I am self employed. I also go out for about an hour a day - lunch, or a walk to the bank (30 mins which could be accomplished in 7 if I drove). I'm on boards again now, and it's not 17:00 yet.

Note to self; must do better:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Alas for we non self-employed, working involves more actual work. I've worked in restaurants and a bookshop, neither of which allow for much down time. Must find office job. *nods*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭onechewy

Depends on the day... some days I'm running around like a crazed person convinced that all PC's/Apps/Printers are forming an alliance against me...

Other days, like today, I do nothing except mooch about online. I think I did about an hours work in total today... and what I did in that hour I did vveeerrry slowly.

I'm not paid very much though so it doesn't really bother me..

(hmmm.. maybe it's this attitude that's the reason I'm not paid so much..... :* )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Hmmm, last job I had was as a receptionist.
    9 to 9:15 = Tea Break
    9:15 to 12 = Boards
    12 to 1 = Lunch
    1 to 3 = Boards
    3 to 3:15 = Coffee Break
    3:15 to 5:30 = Boards
    (Every so often I'd answer the phone)

Started my new job 2 weeks ago, haven't posted on Boards in 2 weeks, they expect me to work ALL the time!!!!! Cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

dont get a change to be on the net whilst at work, might get a glance a boards or other forum based and social network sites whilst on tea or lunch breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

In my previous role it would be:

9 - 1 Boards
    2 - 5 youtube

Our office was in the process of closing and for the last 3 months I was the last one employed. We had a projector screen in the main office so I hooked up the laptop, screen and surround sound to watch dvd's most days.

In this role I'd say I spend maybe 30 mins (incl lunch) to browse. Not so much time wastage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Depends on workload. Some days I hardly work at all, some days I don't get to surf at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't want to see my pie chart of boards vs work, that's just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I don't want to see my pie chart of boards vs work, that's just wrong.

Well, I wasn't just talking Boards. All your time wasted - smoking in the jacks for half the day etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

8.30-9, check emails, look at new posts on boards and another MB I'm an admin of.

9-9.10 - see what work I need to do

9.10-9.30 - bit more browsing

9.30-10.00 - some work/some browsing

10-10.10 - smoke break

10.10 - 10.30 - juice and food break

10.30 - 11 - bit more work/browsing

11 - 11.30 - finish off the days work, then wait for more to materialise / browsing

11.30 - 12 - could be work, if not then browsing

12 - 12.30 - Lunch

12.30 - 12.40 - smoke break

12.40 - 1 - talk to the lads on the 12.30 - 9 shift, let them know what's happened in the morning

1 - 1.30 - browsing while the lads get their afternoon work sorted out

1.30 - 2 - check the lads have caught everything they need to / browsing

2 - 2.10 - smoke

2.10 - 2.30 - browsing as the afternoon lull sets in

2.30 - 3 - browsing / call mates to arrange the nights activity / depending on day start to pick the Boards Team starting eleven for the match

3 - 3.30 - check for some work, more than likely none / browsing

3.30 - 4 - browsing

4 - 4.10 - smoke

4 . 4.30 - browsing / maybe some work

4.30 - 4.45 - get ready to go home

4.45 - 5 - leave the building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

wow, as a student i though i had it easy... i can positively say some of ye working folks have it WAAAAAy easier than me.... something's not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I have no internet access in work. I have to work hard. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I work in a bar so I have to actually work for the full 6 or 7 hours. I only get 15 minutes break during the night!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I work in toy store behind the Games counter. I have many elements which tempt dosing, such as a Tv and the drawer with 1000's of dvd's, a computer with internet (No sites blocked) and also a stereo system where I can plug my ipod in and listen at top volume if I so wish

But Im a good boy, I dos maybe 30mins per day and find pointless remedial tasks when there is nothing to do

If I it was possible, Id sneak off every 20mins for a cig, alas....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Yeah it's well for some. I don't have access to Boards in work, so I actually have to work for a living.
    Granted, I probably get paid more than I should for the work I actually do, but still.. Boo to not having Boards!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Allow that you have a contracted 8 hour working day, how much of it do you actually spend working (for your employer), and where does the rest of it go?
    Surf'in boards?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

It's better to leave boards for a few hours, then when you come back there's loads of sh it to look at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Asbad wrote: »
    I work in toy store behind the Games counter. I have many elements which tempt dosing, such as a Tv and the drawer with 1000's of dvd's, a computer with internet (No sites blocked) and also a stereo system where I can plug my ipod in and listen at top volume if I so wish

But Im a good boy, I dos maybe 30mins per day and find pointless remedial tasks when there is nothing to do

If I it was possible, Id sneak off every 20mins for a cig, alas....

Want a job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Pythia wrote: »
    I have no internet access in work. I have to work hard. :(

QFT

Advertisement