If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.
Stand-Up Charter [Updated 18/05/2017]
12-10-2007 2:05pmClosed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Join Date:Posts: 15106
The Golden Rule
There is no free speech!
-This is a privately owned website. You do not have the right to say whatever you want on here. You are expected to obey the rules just like anyone else. Not following the rules will get you banned. It is very simple. You are allowed to discuss anything as long as it doesn't break the following rules.
-The selling of tickets is prohibited by boards.ie rules. So no-one is to post looking for, or selling tickets. Such posts will be deleted and the user will be taking a weeks break from posting here.
- Topics/posts that contain this will be both edited and locked. If you wish to buy advertising space, please contact [email protected] .
- Posts containing personal attacks on another user will be edited/deleted.
- Posts that are just complete nonsense will be deleted. This includes "Woot! I've 1000 posts" posts and threads. You do not need to post threads in multiple forums. You may ask a Moderator if you think the post is important.
- Topics/posts containing such will be edited/deleted accordingly.
- Topics/posts containing such will be deleted on sight. This is a severe offence. The minimum ban handed out will be one month. Permanent bans will also be handed out for this. If you are linking to an external website that might contain "newspaper" nudity or contains sexual reference, please make sure you mark it "Not safe for work"
- Posts that stray off topic will be edited/deleted, depending on their relevance to the topic at hand. People who ignore a moderator's request to stay on topic will be banned for a week.
- Posting other people phone numbers is a bannable offence. You should never post your own number on a thread as it is not guaranteed to be safe.
Posting in "rtrd"
- Using txtspk n ur psts is cnsdrd been rlly stpd cuz u hv qwert kbd n ur pc so xpct 2 b wrnd. Please don't do this, this is not a bannable offence but repeat offenders might be "asked" to take a break from posting.
- Posters who abuse others on here will be banned. Permanent bans will be handed out on a first offence if a moderator feels it is warranted. There is no argument on this one. Abuse someone and you will be banned. Calling someone an idiot is abuse. Don't attack the poster, attack the post. Posting PM's publicly without consent could be met with harsh consequences, especially if they do not have any place in the discussion.
Pointless Threads and Polls
- Posting any pointless thread or poll will result in the thread being locked. You can be banned for this. Think before you post. If you don't have anything to say then don't bother posting a new thread. Please try to comment as much as you can on any threads you create. If you create a thread in which you ask people to contribute in, contribute first.
- Discussion of drugs is allowed. Telling people where to buy or requesting that information isn't allowed.
Posting in a thread only to make it return to the top of the forum is not allowed (i.e. posting "bump" or some other pointlessness reply to a thread). People who bump threads may be banned. Bumping threads clutters a forum, if a thread is not getting replies then either revive the discussion with a good reply or let it die a slow death.
Arguing with a moderator
- Do not argue with a moderator in a thread after they have given a warning or a ban etc. If you have an issue with a moderator's action then PM the mod in question. They will discuss it with you. You can then, if unsatisfied with the PM route, take things to Feedback.
Giving cheek or attitude to a moderator will get you banned.
Do not under any circumstances complain about a mod on this forum. Do it either on PM or in Helpdesk.
Threads discussing Illegal Activities
Any threads or posts advocating illegal activities or asking for help in such activities will be deleted. You can also be banned for this.
Any thread or post that contravenes the charter should be reported. When reporting a post, make sure you have good reason. Someone disagreeing with you is not a troll, not all arguments are abusive etc. Abusing this feature is frowned upon. If you report a post, it is always a good idea to say so in a thread. It is not required though, but it does reduce the number of repeated reported posts.
Registering a New Account to Circumvent a Ban
- This will get all accounts site-banned.
General Posting Guidelines
Please navigate around the forums before starting a new thread. Use the search function if you think something may have been posted before.
Before you post a thread, consider the following:
- Is what I'm about to post relevant, coherent, funny or in any way interesting to other people?
- Does it add to the forum or is it another thread which is taking up space?
- Has it been posted before?
- Is it suitable for this forum?
Your threads and posts should be well thought out and coherent. This isn't AOL, there is no need for txt/leet speak or excessive punctuation. If in doubt, use a spell checker before you post. Meaningful threads add to the community, throw away threads like "What is your favourite colour?" accomplish nothing. Always try to stay on-topic and contribute to a thread. Moderators are also there to help you if you have any issues or if you have any queries.
May'17: New Boards.ie "What's On" Forum
Users can also post events in the dedicated Boards.ie What's On forum located here.
ALWAYS READ THE CHARTER!
The charter contains all the rules and guidelines. The charter may be updated at any time. Make sure you are up to date.
This is a requirement, and ignorance is not an excuse. There are different charters for every forum on Boards.ie, and reading them will prevent any problems. Items marked in red have been updated recently.0
This discussion has been closed.