Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood V Alu Clad

Options
  • 12-10-2007 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi, I am thinking of replacing the windows in my house. I am trying to decide between timber windows v alu clad windows. I know that alu clad are maintenance free, but i really like to look of a timber window. Anyone have any ideas about where to go to for advice, or can you recommend any window manufacturers of timber or alu clad windows in the Leinster area?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Bikergal,

Bikergal....(that name sound s familiar...)
    Will aluclad windows suit your house from an aesthetic point of view, is your house in a country setting, town house ect. identifying the look you want will help to narrow the choice for you.

You probably know by now that Aluclad windows will probably be slightly more expensive than standard windows. But current joinery prices will probably be very competitive with the recent slowdown in the construction projects. Modern day finishes, and weatherproofing seals ect, will give you an excellent window , even in a standard format.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 West 1

Bikergal, timber windows are not as high maintenance as you might think when properly factory finished in a good paint, probably needing checking and touching up every 3-5 years - depending on weathering etc.

With Alu-clad you still get a fully prepared timber window with alu clad on the outside forming an 'umbrella' to the window and protecting it, but it does have a very modern contemporary look to it. It is around 35% more in price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i put some alu clad windows in a house recently and wasnt too impressed. they have a very wide cross section compared to standard windows which gave problems when trying to plaster the reveals. also they looked cheap to me, like three seperate windows nailed together to give the appearance of a three pane window with openings each side. you can probably get different style alu windows, but its a personal choice, id go with timber every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 West 1

There is a variety in Alu-Clad just as you would get in timber without the cladding. You just have to make sure you buy good quality windows and have a good installer.

Advertisement