Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get into target shooting in Galway?

Options
  • 12-10-2007 6:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I would like to start target shooting in Galway, but I'm having trouble finding suitable clubs, ranges etc. I was on the pistol team in my FCA unit and really enjoyed that and would love to start it up again. I've been reading some other posts and it seems that people into pistols only are a big no no.

Are there any pistol clubs or ranges in Galway that anyone knows of?

How feasible is it to apply for a pistol licence without having a rifle/shotgun licence previously? I was thinking of a fairly basic .177" air pistol or a .22lr.

If you can't get membership of an appropriate club, is it still possible to get a licence if you have land to shoot on?

From what I can tell the approval process can be fairly inconsistent. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Range has to be Garda authorised, memberships normally €300 +, monitored alarm, gun safe, €1500 +, thats the best part of +€1800 before you buy a pistol, still interested ?

Not trying to be funny, this could be the reality ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 danclancy

Yeah I looked into the expenses side of things and have kind of made my peace with that. I'm building a new house so monitored alarm was being installed anyway and I've put space aside for a gun safe but finding a dedicated pistol range is a problem.

Is there a list of garda authorised ranges available anywhere? Is membership of a range/club an absolute necessary? If so will a local gun club suffice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I am a member of midlands, fully authorised and I find it a great place to shoot and most of the shooters are sound.

Doubt the local gun club would pass the super

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

danclancy wrote: »
    Is there a list of garda authorised ranges available anywhere? Is membership of a range/club an absolute necessary? If so will a local gun club suffice?

You must be a member of an authorised target shooting club to get a pistol licence. There is no other reason to have one here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 danclancy

thanks guys, I thought as much. Where is Midlands range bunny shooter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

danclancy wrote: »
    thanks guys, I thought as much. Where is Midlands range bunny shooter?

Tullamore, Co. Offaly. Well actually Blue Ball just outside Tullamore. Definitely worth a visit. They have a really nice pistol range. Here's a photo.

Tullamore7.jpg

Some backstop, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

danclancy wrote:
    Where is Midlands range
    Midland's website appears to be borked at the moment, but the NRAI one is close enough-
    http://www.nrai.ie/index.html

The contact details and directions are all applicable.

Advertisement