Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some basic Russian

Options
  • 11-10-2007 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Here are some basic English to Russian translations.

Featuring spelling and pronounciation

Na strov ya! (cheers) :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

ty menya ooznajesh kak menya zavoot ya ne skazhu tebya, shto ne xvataet, ne nada
    Here are some basic English to Russian translations.

Featuring spelling and pronounciation

Na strov ya! (cheers) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

trevorku wrote: »
    ty menya ooznajesh kak menya zavoot ya ne skazhu tebya, shto ne xvataet, ne nada

what does that mean?

Just joking around with random stuff, sorry. It loosely means something like you dont know me how I'm called(by name I mean), you didnt say its not important, its not nothing :)

Are you Russian?

Menya Zavoot Trevor, kak vas zavoot? Ya zevoo v polstina. Pomosh mi pa ruski yazik?

Spasiba Balshoya muladoi cheloyvek

I am Irish. I like to learn small phrases in other languages.

What do the thngs you wrote mean?

Hi there, I'm Irish too - my Russian knowledge is limited but I do know a few things...

Kak vas zavoot ? What is your name?

Menya zavoot Trevor - My name is Trevor(lit. I am called Trevor)

Ya zhevoo v polshtina - I live in Poland

I bought the Russian books I use from Waterstones etc, how long are you learning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Hi there, I'm Irish too - my Russian knowledge is limited but I do know a few things...

I bought the Russian books I use from Waterstones etc, how long are you learning?

3abut would be a better way of writing 'zavoot'

I think its very confusing honestly to beginners to substitute the Russian cyrillic alphabet for latin characters. I think its better to stay with phonetics as you wrote 3abut which kind of spell zabut.... which is confusing.

However I do get messages from some people in Russian and they use your format, it can be done with some words say in a text message for example but based on personal experience I wouldn't recommend.

I like to learn phrases in lots of languages. Russian is a lovely language I think, it is very nice to speak.

Hello! (formal) / Здравствуйте [Zd`rastvuyte] (formal)

Hi (informal) / Привет [Pri`viet]

How are you? / Как дела? [Kak de`la]

I am fine. / У меня всё хорошо. [U me`nya vsyo hara`sho]

What is your name? / Как Вас зовут? [`Kak `Vas za`vut]

My name is Mary Brown. / Меня зовут Мэри Браун. [Me`nya za`vout Mary Brown]

I?m the export manager. / Я менеджер по экспорту. [Ya `menedzher pa `ekspartu]

Here is my card / Вот моя визитка. [Vot ma`ya vi`zitka]

What is the name of your company? / Как называется Ваша компания? [`Kak nazy`vaetsya `Vasha kam`pania]

I don?t speak Russian, but we will be able to speak through an interpreter. / Я не говорю по-русски, но мы сможем общаться через переводчика. [Ya ne gava`ryu pa-`ruski, no mi `smozhem ab`shchatsya `cherez pere`vodchika]

Thank you very much for the information. / Большое спасибо за информацию. [Bal`shoe spa`siba za infar`matsiu]

I'm grateful for your help. / Я благодарен Вам за помощь. [Ya blaga`daren Vam za `pomashch]

Good-bye (formal) / До свидания [Da svi`daniya]

Bye (informal) / Пока [Pa`ka]

See you tomorrow. / До завтра. [Da `zavtra]

P.S. you can listen to the phrases being spoken by following this link, simply click on the play button after the sentence, spokojny

http://www.talkrussian.com/phrases.htm

Hello! (formal) / Здравствуйте [Zd`rastvuyte] (formal)

Hi (informal) / Привет [Pri`viet]

http://www.talkrussian.com/phrases.htm

Excellent post Trevor, very useful.

I really like Russian, it is such a mystery to decode the alphabet to learn how to speak the words.

What we need is phrases to talk to sexy russians, does anyone know how to say "you have lovely eyes" or "can I buy you a vodka" :)

Here is a wikipedia page with information about the music from the game Tetris.
    This music is a traditional Russian folk song called Korobeiniki" (Russian: "Коробе́йники.
    This means the Peddlers, these were men who would travel from town to town selling all kinds of things.

The page has the lyrics in Russian and English and there are links to music files of the song.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 FoxyCat

I can speak fluent Russian :)

now why are you interested in it? :)

oh yeah, the phrases:

You have lovely eyes - У вас прекрасные глаза
    Can I buy you vodka [I wouldn't think Russian girls would drink it :)] - Я могу угостить вас ..(whatever you wanna add here [водкой, вином, чашечкой чая или кофе..])..?

Sorry, can easily say it, but don't know how to write the pronunciation in English :)

Thank you foxycat for the phrases.
    I will practice them!

I like to learn phrases in lots of languages, Russian is cool and it is rewarding when you
    learn to speak a new phrase. I like technology and computers, and
    Russia has made great conotributions to this area, after all
    they put the first man and satellite in space!

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

You have lovely eyes - У вас прекрасные глаза- U vas prekrasnie glaza

Can I buy you ... - Я могу угостить вас ..(whatever you wanna add here [водкой, вином, чашечкой чая или кофе..])..? -
    Ya mogu ugostit vas ... vinom? chaem? vodochkoj?

:D

Advertisement