Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right side of Brain vs Left

Options
  • 11-10-2007 8:17pm

Found this interesting, takes a while to get it.
    Answer which way you saw the figure moving, clockwise or anti-clockwise and were you able to change direction?

clicky here

Were you able to make it change direction? 48 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    75% 36 votes
    jaguar atari
    25% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I cant see that going anti-clockwise at all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I see it going clockwise and can't seem to change it no matter how hard I concentrate.

I saw it going clockwise first, concentrated for ages then stopped concentrating, as if by magic it went round the other way. Pretty darn cool imo

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

For me it doesn't change direction if I concentrate on it. If I blink a few times it changes direction tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Then try and make her move anti-clockwise from right to left and clockwise from left to right in sequence.

Hours of fun.

Awesome illusion.
    AD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Is this for real?? I could only see it going anti clockwise then the image suddenly started going clockwise for about 3 seconds and turned anti clockwise again.
    It honestly looks like it's the computer image that is actually turning direction, not which side of my brain i'm using!

It's not the image. Silhouettes are 2 dimensional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Very interesting.
    This is a real turn up for the books for me if it's valid. :eek:

First time i looked at it i could only see her going clockwise (as you lookdown on the dancer i presume).
    I was convinced it was impossible to see her to go anti-clockwise until
    after some difficulty i see her going anticlockwise. Now i can't get her to go clockwise again. :confused::)

Clockwise seemed more natural to me though.

This is a big shock to me as i was always convinced i was firmly left-sided/rational/logical/scientific. Always prided myself on being good at and liking maths/physics/technical stuff.
    But the fact that i could only see her going clockwise initially has really thrown me.
    How valid is this test do ye know?

I definitely have a reasonably strong artistic/empathic side as well but i didn't think it was stronger than my logical nature.
    Always preferred safe rationality over feeling etc as well.
    Maybe i need to review this and get in touch with my right cerebral hemisphere. :p

Also just checking, it is meant to be clockwise/anticlockwise "as you look down on her not as you look up" right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sMILIE

that is rele amazin

yeh clockwise at first and for ages,, loadsa trainin nd can switch easily =/=/

well that sounds like i wasted loadsa time,, i only wasted like 2--3 minutes

If you look carefully at the shadowing i think strictly you can only truly say she's going anticlockwise.
    It's very subtle (didn't notice it at first TBH).

The shadowing does not make sense when you observe her going clockwise.
    No matter where the light would be coming from the shadowing only makes sense if she's going anticlockwise.

• Advertisement

Well spotted. I hadn't noticed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its actually not really to do with being left/right brained. But more about visual pathways in the brain, and which eye is dominant.

People with one very dominant eye will only see it going in one direction whereas when the eyes are more equal, it can change direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

The vision in my right eye is quite weaker than the vision in my left, I saw her going clockwise for a good while before seeing her change, I was convinced it was a trick and that it was like a video that does actually change direction but then i was able to switch it, not every time but if i opened and closed my eyes a few times she'd change

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Pretty impressive illusion. Took me ages to get her to change direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Very good, I saw it clockwise at first and then anti-clockwise. I can now make it change direction either way at will :)

/I AM the puppetmaster :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭w66w66

she does half a rotation around one side, and then half a rotation to the other side, so she's going both ways, i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭cas91

first i saw it going clockwise.. then it wouldn't go anti clockwise for ages so i saw it anti clockwise..:rolleyes: strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Saw it anti-clockwise at first. Was able to change the direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

I was looking at it again, it was anticlockwise for about 5 seconds and then clockwise for ages after.
    But the shadow of her feet actually changes when she does, surely my eyes and brain can't make the shadow change with the figure? Maybe i'm missing something and if anyone can explain it it would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

jessie1 wrote: »
    I was looking at it again, it was anticlockwise for about 5 seconds and then clockwise for ages after.
    But the shadow of her feet actually changes when she does, surely my eyes and brain can't make the shadow change with the figure? Maybe I'm missing something and if anyone can explain it it would be great!

It rotates both ways.
    Focus on her foot. It does not rotate in fashion consistent with either rotation.
    Once you get this you'll see it rotates clockwise for 180 and anti-clockwise for the other 180.
    I think the purpose of this is to determine which you see first. This determines the portion of the brain that your immediate reactions correspond to.

It's probably also interesting to see how long it takes you to see the real picture, thus the time it takes you establish a balanced logical and emotional response.

• Advertisement

http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php?p=27

As I said, the image is 2-dimensional. It is not actually spinning at all. But you can adjust your mind to see it spin however you want it to!
    If you want a more complex spin cycle she rotates from the furthermost back position always towards the front in 180's, using the extended leg as the reference. So, left 180 towards the front based on the central axis, then right 180. I'm sure there are many other unusual ways to see it.

Good luck.
    AD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

if you rotate your finger in front of the screen in the opposite direction to her spin you can make her reverse direction and follow your finger

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

clockwise, a-c, clockwise, a-c
    alternated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Had her going clockwise for a long time. Couldn't change her. Maybe was concentrating too hard. Then all of a sudden, anticlockwise. Then clockwise, then a/c. Cool :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

she only moves clockwise for me, so apparently logic, facts and reason are out the window for me. brilliant

jessie1 wrote: »
    But the shadow of her feet actually changes when she does, surely my eyes and brain can't make the shadow change with the figure? Maybe i'm missing something and if anyone can explain it it would be great!

I've been banging on at length about how she only TRULY moves anticlockwise if you take the shadow of her raised leg into account and nobody seems to acknowledge this. :confused:

Of course you can perceive her moving anticlockwise or clockwise but if you look closely the movement of the shadow of her raised leg will be incongruous if you perceive her going clockwise.

I'm guessing the reason you think the shadowing of her raised leg changes (when it doesn't) is that :
    1) When you perceive her moving anticlockwise the shadow of her (left) raised leg is present when it points away from us (this is congruous with reality).
    2) However when you perceive her moving clockwise the shadow of her (right) raised leg is absent when it points away from us (So moving clockwise does not strictly make sense and could not be a real scenario).

Therefore in reality she can only TRULY move anticlockwise.
    However she can be perceived to move anticlockwise (true) or clockwise (false).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I feel like crying now :(

it's messing with my head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Admittedly I'm tired right now, but it's happily changing direction for me at random intervals?

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

holy crap that was weird!

whooaa... i voted no, but i jumped when i finally got it! christ!

hold the phone... that thing is definitely the image, it changes by itself every so often, i'm sure of it! watch for a minute and you'll see the transititions, watch her pony tail and follow the direction its pointing, it'll be pointing the other way after a while which is pretty impossible for an optical illusion!

• Advertisement
Advertisement