Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Bones

Options
  • 10-10-2007 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Just got something about my life insurance through the post and am wondering is it worthwhile to take out broken bones cover. I cycle to and from work everyday about 3 miles(Dundrum to Ballsbridge) mostly on cycle lanes and through parkland but I do have to cross some heavy traffic.
    Is it likely I will get a broken bone or two?
    Do others cycle happily covered/uncovered?
    If covered is the cost/piece of mind worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would suspect it's not really necessary. What does it get you? Whenever I have broken something, all treatment was paid by the public health system, save the initial €40 or whatever in A&E. Also, the risk is small to start with if you are careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Sorry, should have mentioned I'm self employed so its basically a paid out for incapacity. It ranges for broken pinkies to broken backs I guess. I'm giving them a call today for the details

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Ah ok, depends what you do but my own broken bones (collarbone and elbow) have not had me miss work (but then I have an office job, there are plenty of jobs that would not have been doable with them!)

At the same time I do not think it is "likely" at all that you will break anything commuting from Dundrum to Ballsbridge. I'd weigh up the cost against the small possibility you would be out of income for a four-six week period- could you cover this if necessary through savings? Also bear in mind if you break something not through your own fault whoever ran into you will be paying for your lost earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

here's what I'm going to do. This thread is arguably more appropriate for the insurance / personal finance forum.

Irrespective of your commute, as a self employed person you should have income replacement in the event of an incapacity - IMO.

Advertisement